Electrics for utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can help me. I want to add some electrics into my utility room. I am adding a tumble dryer, washing machine, singe socket and spurred 13a boiler fuse from the socket. I want above the worktop switches (isolating) but don't know if they should be 20a or 32a, as the ring main is 32a and don't know if the connections on a 20a switch would be ok.

I have included a basic diagram of how it would look.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It is normal to use 13A fused connection units (spurs) to isolate under-counter appliances.

It is acceptable to use 20A DP switches where a spur is being made on a ring, but you will then not have easy access to the fuse in the plug.

Using a FCU will enable you to do away with the plug and use instead a flex outlet plate with no fuse.

There is nothing technically wrong with your set up, although be sure to consider the loads. If the ring is just for the Utility Room then fine, but if it supplies other high loads (kettle, dishwasher, cooker, whatever) then you could be over-stretching the circuit.

Thanks for your reply much appreciated. I didn't really want to cut the plugs off as it may invalidate the warranty on the applainces plus if they need to be fixed or I move it makes it more ackward. Based on what you have said I have attached a further diagram below of what maybe more suitable by simply spurring from the ring rather than a socket. (I know in the unlikey event of a fuse going it maybe a case of process of eliminate unless the 13a are neons. Do you think this therefore would be a better set up?

If the appliances are easily moveable then go for unswitched sockets below counter.

Your first drawing looked better - the second one implies that you will be using junction boxes or something. Keep the two switched-spurs on the ring (so they both have two supply cables and one load cable).

It is true that if a fuse goes you will have to check both the spur and the plug. This goes in the favour of using neon spurs or 20A switches.

Sponsored Links
That is worse.

If you use a ring circuit, then you should keep as many of the outlets as possible connected directly to the ring.

utilityring1.jpg

Ok thanks I will stick to the first diagram and use the 20a switches this way I have a way of isolating the appliance if a fault occurs as I know regs say there has to be a easy way of isolation on appliances. I wasn't keen on putting junction boxes off the ring.

Ok if I keep them all on the ring what should the rating of the FCUs be? Is 13a sufficent as will the connections only be rated to this, rather then 32a.

13amp is fine because the fuse within the fcu takes max current draw down to 13amp.

The supply terminals can cope with 32a

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back