Overheating plug and socket switches ...

Sponsored Links
You should also replace all the sockets that have overheated.

Well, since one has a stuck switch, and the other has only one of the two sockets working, then (no offence, but) that's a given.

Cheap sockets can fail at the switch, it does not 'make' correctly causing overheating.Bought 10 pack from Wickes once and had to replace 6 of them when switches failed.
Not only cheap sockets.
When we refitted/rewired our kitchen I decided to install sockets with neons and purchased 10 MK DSSO's, in the end there we only installed 6. One was faulty out of the box leaving 3 spare, as they failed the spares were used up then non neon sockets used. 11 years on we have only 2 still in place and a neon in one of those has failed. Or in other words 90% failure rate.
The rest of the house still has all of the original (Homebase) sockets from 1994 when we moved in and rewired.

In my working life I replace more MK products than all the other makes put together. Yes I understand they are the most popular brand which means there are more out there to go wrong.

I would clean the dryer plug pins with a kitchen scourer or that liquid that gets metal shiny.

(maybe some pics of it? etc)

Also remove the fuse cover and pic inside

The pins look pretty much as I would expect from a new item, not one that's a few years old, as this is. Don't think I could get them much shinier.

Fuse detail to follow

Sponsored Links
Update - we've been living with this over lockdown, but the tumble drier has now claimed the lives of three switches on one single socket and a double socket - all new ones fitted by the electricians at the time.

I got a plug-in voltage/current monitor gadget from Amazon, and on High setting the tumble drier was registering

11.02 Amps,
2.43 to 2.65kW,
238 Volts

2.14kW/h

UK mains circuits are rated at 13A, so is 11.02 considered unreasonably high, or is 1.98A a reasonable margin below the max of 13A?

Buy sockets without switches and a better make.

Your 'mains' circuit is likely to be 32A. The plug is 13A.

"Better make" being .... which?

Yes, the MCB for the circuit will be rated above that, I mis-spoke 'circuit', but the highest fuse rating for an individual mains plug, and by implication for an individual appliance, is 13A .... is 11.02 considered within safe operating range?

I am particularly fond of Crabtree sockets, but have no evidence to support my opinion.

It seems to me that their outdoor weatherproof range are particularly robust.

When we refitted/rewired our kitchen I decided to install sockets with neons and purchased 10 MK DSSO's, in the end there we only installed 6. One was faulty out of the box leaving 3 spare, as they failed the spares were used up then non neon sockets used. 11 years on we have only 2 still in place and a neon in one of those has failed. Or in other words 90% failure rate.
When you talk about 'failing', are you just referring to the neons?

Neons in accessories do 'fail' (at least, start flickering') quite early, which is one reason why I've virtually never used sockets with them. However, in terms of the sockets themselves, I have lived with countless of them (many/most of them being 'cheapos') for decades (I would guess there are at least 100 in my present house, where I've been for ~35 years) and I don't recall ever having to replace one because of 'failure' (the very rare replacements having been occasioned by mechanical damage).

Kind Regards, John

When you talk about 'failing', are you just referring to the neons?

Neons in accessories do 'fail' (at least, start flickering') quite early, which is one reason why I've virtually never used sockets with them. However, in terms of the sockets themselves, I have lived with countless of them (many/most of them being 'cheapos') for decades (I would guess there are at least 100 in my present house, where I've been for ~35 years) and I don't recall ever having to replace one because of 'failure' (the very rare replacements having been occasioned by mechanical damage).

Kind Regards, John
No, no, no.
I have had neons fail but not counted them in the list, as the sockets fail I've retained the neons as spares. So I think it's highly likely the failure rate for the neons is 17/20 or 85% as there are only 2 of the original DSSO's and one with failed neon. Equally failure rate of the sockets is 8/10 or 80%.

When we moved here in 1994 I replaced accessories in the house (But not the granny annex), other than ceiling roses, as they were in such a **** state of disrepair. Mostly I purchased them from a Shed, most likely Homebase as so nearby at the time. Some will have been from my 'stock' as the permanent high power sockets I've used are from new veryold stock 'Bill' DSSO's. Other than the Kitchen MK's I only recall a dimmer failing when its bulb blew and a couple of very low down cracked sockets (I blame Henrys predecessor:unsure:) and the one I plugged the 140A welder into which failed (Switch) at first attempt to strike an arc (also happened to be one of the 'low down' sockets so may have even been damaged prior).

So I think it's highly likely the failure rate for the neons is 17/20 or 85% as there are only 2 of the original DSSO's and one with failed neon.
That sounds about par for the course over a significant period of time.
Equally failure rate of the sockets is 8/10 or 80%.
What sort of 'failure' are you talking about? As I said, even just thinking of my present house, I've lived with probably ~100 sockets for ~35 years without being able to recall any 'failure' (other than due to not-electrically-related mechanical damage).

Kind Regards, John

These MK's have stopped working in a variety of ways, I don't recall every detail but several of the DP switches went open circuit, a neutral link bar rivet not tight, a live receptical or two broke up, a couple of sockets or may have been 3 jammed preventing plugs being inserted, my instant fix for those was fitting a childproof cover until the other socket also failed. The 3KW kettle socket burnt around the hole, it seemed to be the crimped or rivetted construction rather than contact resistance as the new socket seemed quite happy with the moulded plug (Ironically one of the 2 remaining neon MK's).

The most annoying part of it was I really thought I'd do the right thing in the kitchen, DP switches, lights and a decent brand. I don't recall the cost but I suspect closse to a ton. The £2 replacements have been perfect.

These MK's have stopped working in a variety of ways, I don't recall every detail but several of the DP switches went open circuit, a neutral link bar rivet not tight, a live receptical or two broke up, a couple of sockets or may have been 3 jammed preventing plugs being inserted ...
Interesting. AsI said, with all the sockets I've 'lived with' for decades,I don't recall ever have experienced any of that.
The most annoying part of it was I really thought I'd do the right thing in the kitchen, DP switches, lights and a decent brand. I don't recall the cost but I suspect closse to a ton. The £2 replacements have been perfect.
Quite. A lot of people seem still to believe that 'most expensive must be best' but, as I said, the great majority of those I have lived with, without troubles, for decades were 'cheapo' ones - probably, like yours, Homebase - or possibly, in some cases, Texas, which is what our local Homebase was prior to becoming Homebase (and then, much more recently, briefly becoming Bunnings, then back to Homebase again :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Interesting. AsI said, with all the sockets I've 'lived with' for decades,I don't recall ever have experienced any of that.
Quite. A lot of people seem still to believe that 'most expensive must be best' but, as I said, the great majority of those I have lived with, without troubles, for decades were 'cheapo' ones - probably, like yours, Homebase - or possibly, in some cases, Texas, which is what our local Homebase was prior to becoming Homebase (and then, much more recently, briefly becoming Bunnings, then back to Homebase again :) ).

Kind Regards, John
My favourites have always been and always will be 'Bill'.

I purchaced loads of veryold new stock about 50 years ago, something well over 500 single and double unswitched sockets in brown and cream cost was 2/- & 3/6d in cream 1/- & 2/- in brown, I also got a Robinsons lemon barley water boxful in brown for 30/- (£1.50) which was random ends of lines of switches and sockets which were a little more modern, I used them in my first kitchen which had a yellow/brown colour scheme, my wife initially hated the thought but once fitted changed her mind.

I've always done a fair bit of temporary supplies and the kit takes a real bashing, I mean a real hammering and I think it's far to say those Bills have proved to be a very tough product without a single unexpected failure. I've found them to be more robust than metal clad products.

Also within AV installations which not only don't require switches, they are a positive nuisance because people turn the bloody things off.

I got the numbers about right as I only have about a dozen left left now I've reached retirement age.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back