washing maching plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
quick question regarding the washing machine plug socket under the kitchen worktop i'm about to fit. I have a plug socket under the worktop connected to an isolator switch located above the worktop. My question is where do I locate the plug socket? If I put the plug socket behind the washing machine i'm concerened a water leak might be potentially dangerous.

Sponsored Links
Washing machines aren't well known for squirting water out of the back of the casing, so you could put it pretty much anywhere on the back wall and it will be OK, but if you're worried then just put it as high up as you can, within reason. As far away as possible from the standpipe would be a good precaution.

I think it should be accessible, otherwise you cant check the fuse without having to remove the machine.

I think it should be accessible, otherwise you cant check the fuse without having to remove the machine.
How often does a washing machine outlive its plugtop fuse?

Unless of course it goes faulty, in which case you'll need to drag the machine out anyway.

Sponsored Links
How often does a washing machine outlive its plugtop fuse?

Unless of course it goes faulty, in which case you'll need to drag the machine out anyway.

Once will be a problem, if you are sighting a new socket & it can be fitted in an accessibile area, then why not?

Once will be a problem, if you are sighting a new socket & it can be fitted in an accessibile area, then why not?
You're behaving as though you've noticed a new problem and have a solution to it. Neither is true.

The dilemma is as old as the hills, and there are two considerations:

1. Pulling the machine out safely.
This fulfilled by the FCU (or just a switch) above the countertop.
This is what the OP is already planning to do.

2. Accessing the plugtop.
It's so long ago that I cannot remember the last time I needed to replace a blown fuse in a washing machine plugtop without the appliance needing to be taken apart as well. Such a rare event doesn't justify putting the socket outlet above the worktop, when the downside is that the flex will be visible above the worktop, and the hole for it will leave a path for moisture and debris to go through.

The best (electrical) solution of all is to have no socket outlet below the worktop, instead using a flex outlet plate, and wiring the machine in directly. The downside to this is that some non-skilled contractors will decline to open the flex outlet - John Lewis staff, for example, won't remove/install a machine unless they can just plug it in. Neverthessless, this is how [most] electric cookers are connected, so don't even start begin to think of objecting to this principle.

Using a flex outlet leaves the washing machine flex unprotected unless a FCU is used. If just a switch is used, it's out of the question.

John Lewis are obviously aware of the EWR 1989 and are unwilling to over complicate their safe working practices. An internal matter.

Electric cookers may have to be hard wired due to their rating - which would preclude using a plug/socket connection.

Using a flex outlet leaves the washing machine flex unprotected unless a FCU is used. If just a switch is used, it's out of the question.
That would appear to be a Statement Of The Bleeding Obvious.

John Lewis are obviously aware of the EWR 1989 and are unwilling to over complicate their safe working practices. An internal matter.
JL was (singular) an example, and it's far from an "internal matter" for a customer who would have to engage an electrician to wire in/out an appliance that in other circumstances could just be unplugged.

Electric cookers may have to be hard wired due to their rating - which would preclude using a plug/socket connection.
S.O.T.B.O.

That would appear to be a Statement Of The Bleeding Obvious.

So why did you suggest the bleeding obvious wrong thing to do?

JL was (singular) an example, and it's far from an "internal matter" for a customer who would have to engage an electrician to wire in/out an appliance that in other circumstances could just be unplugged.

What the customer may or may not 'want' has nothing to do with a company's working procedures. If the company does not offer the service required by the client, the client has the option of shopping elsewhere. So, it remains an internal matter for whichever company to offer whichever service in the manner they want to. I would suggest that economics and market forces will determine whether a particular policy and product is offered by a supplier.

S.O.T.B.O.

G.T.F.Y.B.L.S.M.D.H

A plug and unswitched socket will be fine. That's how I've done my dish washer. :) :) :) If you're worried about water, have a look around the back of the machine for places it could leak. The inlet hose connection is an obvious candidate. There might also be a vent which could spout water if the machine floods. :eek: :eek: :eek: Any other leaks will be from low down and contained within the case.

You should also try to position the socket so that it doesn't stop you from pushing the machine all the way in. That is to say, keep it away from bits that stick out a lot! If you have trouble thinking in three dimensions, hold a large, flat board up against the back of the machine then look for a gap where a plug and socket would fit - not forgetting to allow for water pipes. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for your replies chaps,

Got deeper worktops then normal so should have ample space for socket and plug.

Ok, so place to rear of appliance but high enough to clear any possible flooding. there seems to be no real right or wrong place for this one. still cautious of placing so close to the hoses though

Well, I've scoured my memory, asked a few friends, checked the BBC News web site, and looked around the forum, and all of it confirms my initial suspicion that your opinion has absolutely no significance whatsoever. Good luck with it.

What the customer may or may not 'want' has nothing to do with a company's working procedures.
Maybe you're right, but it's really incredibly unlikely.

I would suggest that economics and market forces will determine whether a particular policy and product is offered by a supplier.
Your somewhat quaint suggestion is noted.

And when I say noted, I mean ignored.

Well, I've scoured my memory, asked a few friends, checked the BBC News web site, and looked around the forum, and all of it confirms my initial suspicion that your opinion has absolutely no significance whatsoever. Good luck with it.

Yet you keep suggesting the bleeding obviously wrong thing to do. It's not opinion, it's a fact - just read your own post above :D

What the customer may or may not 'want' has nothing to do with a company's working procedures.
It's very unlikely when the customer wants the company to break the law??? Perhaps that's how you conduct your business but that is no reason to expect it of other businesses.

I would suggest that economics and market forces will determine whether a particular policy and product is offered by a supplier.
Your somewhat quaint suggestion is noted.

And when I say noted, I mean ignored.

If you're going to do something, at least have the guts to do it :rolleyes:

Yet you keep suggesting the bleeding obviously wrong thing to do.
I have a hand mirror here which shows that you have mistaken me for someone who gives a toss.

It's very unlikely when the customer wants the company to break the law?
Laa laa la-la-laaaaa laaa I can't hear you.

Chad%20fingers%20in%20ears.gif

If you're going to do something, at least have the guts to do it :rolleyes:
intestines.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back