Kitchen Electrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I can just picture the scene....

Wife - Darling I don’t mean to worry you but the dish washer is on fire and the washing machine is flooding the kitchen.

Husband - Just turn them off at the wall and throw some water on the dish washer.

Wife - But you removed the switches because the wall looked "cluttered"

Husband - Hmm! Best use the oven mitt to drag out the dish washer then and pull out the plug behind it. The washing machine you can just pull out but it may electrocute you.

Wife - Can’t we just turn off the power at the fuse box?

Husband - Sigh! But id need to get the ladder out of the shed to reach it.

Wife - The fire brigade is here darling.

While it may not be a regulation to have worktop isolation switches I know what id prefer to have in my kitchen.

As you've opened the world of fiction...

the dishwasher is on fire, so the husband tells the wife to walk over TO the fire, reach through the flames to switch off the appliance. Anyone who advises any non trained and non equiped fire fighter to move towards the fire is an idiot.

Plus I never knew that such switches acted as automatic fire extinguishing systems? :D

OK that's fiction in the fantasy world of some people.

Here's the REAL world of complying with the REAL Regs:-

If the socket outlet is behind the built-in appliance and is 'functionally' controlled by a DP switch above the work top, how is the fixed wiring installation going to be tested up to the last point (the socket)?

Answer, unless the built-in appliance is removed, it can't be. Therefore the Regs can NEVER ever be complied with unless the built-in appliance is removed.

So, if the 'functional' switch above the worktop controls a socket inside a cupboard, is there a point to having the switch above the worktop? Perhaps, for the sake of user convenience but NEVER because it's required by the Regs.

Whether its required by the regs or not I'd install one every time.

If something goes wrong with the appliance isolation above the worktop is the safest way to prevent further incident.

MW

Sponsored Links
Chaps,

I apologise for opening a can of worms between those who have provided inputs to my initial query.

And not wishing to take up valuable forum space, is there a moderator available to lock this thread?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back