Another kitchen question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Until I found this site I was going to simply replace the units and decorate my kitchen - ie no electrical modifications. I have enough sockets, freestanding appliances and the kitchen is on a 2.5mm ring circuit with a modern CU.

I have noticed a number of questions about kitchens but am still a bit confused by the need (preferred or legal?) for switches in accessible positions for under worktop (not integrated) fridge, freezer, washing machine etc.

My Collins DIY bible (from 2001) says 'There is no reason why you can't plug an appliance like a fridge, dishwasher or washing machine into a standard socket outlet - except that in a modern kitchen such appliance are installed under worktops, and sockets mounted behind them are difficult to reach. It's therefore generally more convenient to mount a FCU above the worktop with a 2.5mm spur to a socket outlet behind the appliance'

To cut a long storey short - do I need get this altered?

I understand there may be a number of different styles of opinion varying from the letter of the regulations to best practice to what is generally acceptable - all are appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ben D said:
Until I found this site I was going to simply replace the units and decorate my kitchen - ie no electrical modifications.

Unless you want to, 1-rip your kitchen apart, 2-get involved with finding a sparks who can self certify or submit a planning application yourself,
3-spend a load more money on what was a simple project I would log off now and pretend you never found this site.

I've read the replies so far and I should have added that my free standing appliances plug into wall sockets behind the under worktop appliances without switches in accesible positions - I'm not really sure what John D means?

JohnD said:
Socketwall! Socketwall!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The simple answer is no, you do not need to change this. Even if you were to rewire, providing it is no less safe or compliant than before you started you can keep the current arrangement. That said, I'd want to change it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back