Switch with or without neon

If your the sort of person that likes turning your washing machine and dish washer off at night. (Or before you leave the house) then fit a neon.
Perhaps - but if you attempted to start you WM or DW and it didn't come on, that would presumably prompt you to operate the switch - so I'm far from convinced!

Kind Regards, John

I was thinking along the lines of,
If the neons lit, then it reminds one to switch it off.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking along the lines of, If the neons lit, then it reminds one to switch it off.
Perhaps. However, you were talking about "the sort of person that likes turning your washing machine and dish washer off at night" (and presumably turning it back on during the day). They would therefore probably be used to seeing the neon on most of the time they were awake, so I'm not sure that it's presence would suddenly prompt them to turn it off last thing at night, would it? What 'they' would really need would be a neon which only came on (if the switch was on) late at night!

Kind Regards, John

Sometimes John..........

They would turn it on when they need to use the appliance. Not just because its morning.

Teaching rather than impact therapy.

How did I survive?
Open fires, hot ranges, dead rabbits on the worktop (obtained by going out with Granddad with switchless ferrets), milk simmering to make cream, no bannisters - stairs were just a hole in the bedroom floor, helping with the harvest, walk to school etc.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes John.......... They would turn it on when they need to use the appliance. Not just because its morning.
True, but (if they didn't turn it off until 'night') that would often still mean that they got used to seeing the neon on for a substantial proportion of their waking hours. In your scenario, the neon would presumably help to some extent, but I'm not sure to what extent. It would probably be much more useful in the 'children' situation, in which one wanted to be reminded to turn the switch off whenever the appliance was not being used, during the day - since one would then would get used to the fact that the neon should never be on unless the appliance was actually being used.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I rather assumed that's what you meant!
How did I survive? ... Open fires, hot ranges, dead rabbits on the worktop (obtained by going out with Granddad with switchless ferrets), milk simmering to make cream, no bannisters - stairs were just a hole in the bedroom floor, helping with the harvest, walk to school etc.
Sure - but, for better or worse, times have changed. Those supporters of the 'the new way' would presumably point out that although you and I survived, some didn't - at least unscathed. I have to say that two members of my extended family suffered childhood incidents of the type you allude to which, although they survived, had life-long consequences. However, that such things happened was then 'accepted'.

I wonder how much would actually have been different if 'the Wiring Regulations' had never existed, even today?

Kind Regards, John

How did I survive?
Open fires, hot ranges, dead rabbits on the worktop (obtained by going out with Granddad with switchless ferrets), milk simmering to make cream, no bannisters - stairs were just a hole in the bedroom floor, helping with the harvest, walk to school etc.
Not to mention being out all the daylight hours with no-one actually knowing where you were, or swings across rivers were the rope broke (happened to me). Exploring derelict houses and old mills. Ee they don't know they're born :sneaky:

Seriously though, apart from the oven/hob which will have a switch anyway although still be hot and hazardous, what could happen other than turn on - by manipulating the correct buttons - a washing machine or dishwasher unnecessarily?

Seriously though, apart from the oven/hob which will have a switch anyway although still be hot and hazardous, what could happen other than turn on - by manipulating the correct buttons - a washing machine or dishwasher unnecessarily?
Good point, he doesn't have a little brother or sister he could wash!

I would say that you are assuming the absence of faults. What if the machine (with its own buttons at 'off') starts to give off a burning smell? Hopefully rather unlikely, but the switch gives you some reassurance.

Agreed - no real hazard, but a district nuisance if little Johnny keeps turning on the WM or DW. I've never said that I subscribe to the need for a switch, even in the presence of children, but I think it is the most 'credible' of reasons for having a switch that I've heard mentioned.

Kind Regards, John

I would say that you are assuming the absence of faults. What if the machine (with its own buttons at 'off') starts to give off a burning smell? Hopefully rather unlikely, but the switch gives you some reassurance.
As I said way back, that is the most commonly cited reason for having a switch. However, as I also implied, there will always be a means of isolating it at the CU, and the only real 'advantage' of having a dedicated switch is that one then can be a bit more leisurely about removing and disconnecting and/or repairing the faulty appliance. Given how rare that situation would be, and how relatively easy it usually is to remove an appliance, I personally don't regard it as a compelling reason for having a switch.

Kind Regards, John

As I said way back, that is the most commonly cited reason for having a switch. However, as I also implied, there will always be a means of isolating it at the CU, and the only real 'advantage' of having a dedicated switch is that one then can be a bit more leisurely about removing and disconnecting and/or repairing the faulty appliance. Given how rare that situation would be, and how relatively easy it usually is to remove an appliance, I personally don't regard it as a compelling reason for having a switch.

Kind Regards, John

I assume, though, that I am allowed an opinion too...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back