Kitchen Re-Wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

If there an absolute requirement to have separate DP isolation switches for appliances e.g. Washing machine and dishwasher?

I'm in the process of planning my kitchen the designer has advised I need to have DP switches above my worktop for both the washing machine and dishwasher with a socket behind / adjacent to the appliance.

I'd personally prefer to have a double socket in an adjacent cupboard (as is the current setup) and not have switches everywhere that will never get used (unless necessary).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
The advantage of the double plug switch above the work surface or otherwise easy to access location is for speed of isolation when the machine goes faulty and trips the power to the kitchen. Sockets in the back of a cupboard are OK if you are OK with emptying the cupboard to get to the switch.

Do NOT use a double socket for a washing machine and a dishwasher that might be used at the same time. While a double socket appears to be capable of two 13 amp loads most if not all are rated at a safe maximum of 20 amps shared between the two sockets ( the terminal clamps for the cables feeding the socket are the reason for the 20 amp limit ) . Use two singles in single back boxes or two singles in a dual back box.,

Sponsored Links
The advantage of the double plug switch above the work surface or otherwise easy to access location is for speed of isolation when the machine goes faulty and trips the power to the kitchen. Sockets in the back of a cupboard are OK if you are OK with emptying the cupboard to get to the switch.

Do NOT use a double socket for a washing machine and a dishwasher that might be used at the same time. While a double socket appears to be capable of two 13 amp loads most if not all are rated at a safe maximum of 20 amps shared between the two sockets ( the terminal clamps for the cables feeding the socket are the reason for the 20 amp limit ) . Use two singles in single back boxes or two singles in a dual back box.,

Cheers, it will be a spark doing the work however I just wanted a 2nd opinion as my options are limited due to a window being only 200mm above the worktop.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me a rough cost as to what I would expect to pay for the following...I appreciate that its hard without seeing it but would help me gauge the cost of my kitchen refit.

Replace current consumer unit with unit to current spec, re-new bonding etc

and

Re-wire kitchen:

3 worktop level double sockets
Circuit for oven (16A, 2.5mm)
Circuit for induction hob (4mm as specified by manufacturer)
Socket for integrated microwave (above oven)
Socket / Connection for extractor
Single socket under cupboard for washing machine
Double socket under cupboard for dishwasher & fridge

Its a galley style kitchen (3.1M x 2.1M). Consumer unit is about 2M away from kitchen.

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back