Kitchen Electrics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refurbishing my kitchen which currently has 3 wall fitted switches (above the worktop) to feed my free standing washing machine, dryer and dishwasher. These are all plugged into 3 pin sockets fitted under the worktop.

Do regulations permit me to do away with the isolating switches and just plug the appliances into permanently live sockets under the worktop?

VMT

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you want to. Your appliances are free standing so go ahead. Think of it like plugging in your TV to a socket round the back of the TV cabinet which is awkward to get to.

Apart from other things, don't you need to know how he cables are routed and wether or not they will be in safe zones before passing judgement?
Not sure where you would stand re notification (part p) either.
imo it is better to have an accessable switch anyway.

Sponsored Links
What was the plan to do with the wires once the switches were removed :?:

I wanted to remove the switch plates to de-clutter the wall areas. I would have thought by simply connecting the wires to provide a permanent feed to the sockets and tiling over the holes would be sufficient.

As a DIYer not fitting any new cabling, does it require certification?

It is borderline as to wether the work is notifiable, but if you remove the switch the installation will not comply with BS7671, and will not get BCO approval.

If you leave the switches where they are, you will have a SAFE, COMPLIANT installation, and you will not have to pay a fee to your BCO.

If you want to neaten things up a bit, you could combine what I presume are currently three 1 gang switches into a single grid plate.

I would have thought by simply connecting the wires to provide a permanent feed to the sockets and tiling over the holes would be sufficient.
Not a good idea to tile over

also if there switched spurs they may also be fusing down from two ring cables to one socket cable

If you leave the switches where they are, you will have a SAFE, COMPLIANT installation, and you will not have to pay a fee to your BCO.

Incorrect. There is NO requirement in BS7671 to have switches mounted above the worktop. This is an all too common misunderstanding. All the switch above the worktop provides is a convenient functional switch.

Unless you crimp or solder the switch connections, you can not plaster over the switches as this will NOT comply with BS7671 for two reasons:
1. connections must be accessible for inspection (not so if plastered over) unless crimped or soldered
2. by removing the switches from view, you may violate the safe zones as regards the positions of the socket outlets.

I can't speak for the other guys (indeed, they are well able to speak for themselves), but I am not getting drawn into this ridiculous argument. I will say only this:

You live in your world and I will live in mine. Consider how many electricians think like you and how many think like me.

And while I'm on, you STILL have not answered my question.

(Remember the one - How many years experience have you got in the contracting industry?)

Your appliances are free standing

Are they?

Read the OP - it's all there in b/w. Bit like reading the Regs with open eyes. It's all there if one can be bothered to read things properly. You will also note that the OP specifically asks about Regs.

Please don't mistake working practices with the Regs. I wonder how many poor souls out there have been overcharged or incorrectly advised by so many so called electricians regarding bogus/false/incompetent understanding of the Regs. I have never submitted an argument against switches above worktops based on what may or may not be good practice. I can think of situations in which they would be a good thing and situations in which they would be a bad thing. But there are NO situations specified in the Regs.

The OP asked a simple question. The simple answer is that there are NO REGS preventing him doing what he asked.

I don't remember the other question you refer to? Besides, it's none of your business.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back