Switch with or without neon

I assume, though, that I am allowed an opinion too...
Of course you are - but you wrote (albeit to EFLI, but 'in public') "I would say that you are assuming the absence of faults." - so I was just pointing out that I personally had posted, early on, about the possibility of faults, but had said that (at least for me) that did not represent a compelling reason to have a switch.

If you are more comfortable with having a dedicated switch, then that's obviously fine - there are almost no downsides other than the (very small) issues associated with introducing an additional 'point of potential failure'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Perhaps you could confine your comments to help on electrical issues rather than parenting!
Perhaps you could recognise that this site does not reside outside of normal space and time.

Perhaps you could recognise that you are a real person, with a real flesh and blood existence in the real world, and not a purely theoretical artefact.

Perhaps you could recognise ditto for your daughter, your grandchild(ren) and the people who contribute here.

Perhaps you could recognise that of course you will get comments which stray beyond the narrow scope which you are trying to define.

I don't really see the need for a switch.

I have a fridge/freezer that has no "off" setting on its very basic controls - just "less cold". Plugged into a socket low down behind it in the middle of a run of cabinets. Whilst supposedly "frost-free" it needs defrosting approx once per year - and it's a real pain in the rear to man handle the thing out of position to get to the socket to switch it off fully.

So while there is no "need" for an above counter switch per se, it sure would be more convenient. That said, it can wait until the kitchen gets a make over.

As for neons - about the only place I see a point is on the switch for the immersion heater in case I forget to turn it off. Although the fizzy kettle noise from the thing probably alerts me before I notice the neon is on.

In all - isn't this a very subjective question? Or is there some regulation now that calls for above counter isolation switches for appliances?

I have a fridge/freezer that has no "off" setting on its very basic controls - just "less cold".
Are you sure? If so, what would it do on 'minimum' with the door open?
IF that were really the case, and assuming that the 'minimum' temperature setting was below ambient room temperature, one assumes that the compressor would run continuously, tending to keep ice in contact with the walls of the cavity largely still frozen - hence, at the least, a very slow 'defrosting' process.

Kind Regards, John

If as is often recommended the fridge / freezers have a dedicated circuit ( MCB or RCBO ) then a lamp of some sort is a useful indication that the device has tripped.

The three red neons in my kitchen are a welcome sight proving that [1] there isn't a power cut and [2] the installation still works.

( At the moment it is only two as the Neff hobs are switched off waiting for a service engineer to arrive with the necessary to repair them. )

If as is often recommended the fridge / freezers have a dedicated circuit ( MCB or RCBO ) then a lamp of some sort is a useful indication that the device has tripped.
In theory - but, in practice, I wonder how long it would take for someone to realise that the light (assuming it was something fairly modest, like a standard accessory neon!) was no longer 'lit'? I have (audible) power failure alarms on my freezer (and some other) circuits, and (audible) over-temperature alarms in the freezers.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back