socket problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tumble dryer worked fine off a switched double socket point for 2 years.
Does not work as of yesterday. Tumble dryer is ok as now workin off another socket.
disconnected socket and as I had power presumed it was the switch. Bought new unit that has light display - still will not work. When I switch one on light indicates power, then when I switch to the other, first one goes off and second one lights and when I plug in appliance -nothing- and neither indicates power.

Sponsored Links
Stumped - other sockets all ok.
If it is a broken connection, why do I have power in socket ?

you havent since nothing works, you do have a broken cable, probaly a loose connection

Sponsored Links
When you say ' have power' are you just checking for 'live' with a neon screwdriver ? - it is possible the live 'supply' is OK but the 'return' neutral is broken. This would also lead to odd effects with the neons, as they need so little current they could be being lit by leakage, even if there was a break that could not support a full load. A better test would be with a test lamp of a few watts that actually draws some current, or better still (with power off) meter on the ohms range to check continuity of L, N and E separately back to the feed point.. I suspect that somewhere further up the chain it has developed a break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back