Overheating plug and socket switches ...

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to provide some background;

Original electrical installation in our utility room had one twin 13 amp socket plate above worktop, with two holes drilled in worktop, and two cables passing through worktop feeding washing machine and tumble dryer below. Ugly.

On refurbishing the room, we got electricians in to install two new single (switched) 13 amp sockets below worktop level, and put a new double switched socket above worktop in same place as previous.

Utility room and adjacent kitchen are all on the 'kitchen' ring main.

===

Once they had done their work, I wanted to paint around the single socket feeding the tumble dryer, so switched off at the consumer unit, and unscrewed the socket to pull it partly away from the wall, and get paint brush behind. There was a flash from behind the socket, and all the socket circuits in the house went dead. The lighting circuits were still active.

I took a look behind the socket to find that one of the insulations had been nicked, and appeared to have short-circuited. Their office was closed, but one of the fitters had contacted us via mobile, so we rang him, explained the situation, and since it was early evening, he came round almost immediately.

He had a look, cut back the nicked wire to good insulation, and took a look elsewhere. I didn't see everything that he did, but he declared that we had "lost a neutral somewhere" and I think he connected a neutral from (one of) the lighting circuits, within the consumer unit, to (one of) the ring mains to restore it. Didn't sound like standard practice to me, but....

We probably should have pressed harder on them to come and rectify this further, but other matters took precedence, and we soldiered on.

A few months later, the tumble dryer stopped working. I reached down to the socket, and went to switch it off at the socket, and remove the plug. The switch would not move to the off position. It's stuck on. I unplugged the dryer, plugged it in to the above-worktop double socket, and it worked fine.

We've been using the dryer in this socket for a few months now, always plugging it in to the RH socket. We've noticed that the plug, and the switch area of the socket were getting warm/hot, and resolved to get another electrician in when time permits. The access to the rear of the consumer unit is below the utility room floor, and we'd have to lift flooring to get to the hatch, so ....

Within the last few days, the dryer stopped working again. I unplugged it, switched off the RH socket, and switched on/plugged in again. It worked for 10 mins or so, then stopped. With the machine plugged in, and switched off at the socket, switching on at the socket gave a little 'kick' of activity at the machine, but no startup/running.

Unplugged it from RH socket, plugged in to LH socket, and it's working fine, but the plug, and the LH switch, are both hot when in operation, the switch almost at the point where it's too hot to touch.

So it looks as though the switches are being disabled by heat.

The dryer works fine, and shows no fault symptom other than the (moulded plug) getting hot. The cable is cool, but not the plug.

Anyone got any input, or thoughts as to root cause?

I'm on the verge of cutting the moulded plug off the cable, and replacing with a decent MK. Could that be an issue? Wouldn't explain why the switches get hot, though....

Sponsored Links
Footnote: whilst we're of the opinion that there's been crossed wires installed by the electricians, everything else in the house still works fine, including all of the kitchen sockets.

Wouldn't explain why the switches get hot, though..
The heat from a failed joint in the moulded on plug will be conducted into the socket and along copper conductors to the switci.
0x49.jpg
so switched off at the consumer unit, and unscrewed the socket to pull it partly away from the wall, and get paint brush behind. There was a flash from behind the socket,

What exactly did you switch off ? Was it the Main Switch or the MCB label sockets. Either way something is wrong and an inspection should be carried out, preferably by someone qualified and not the person who installed the new sockets

The access to the rear of the consumer unit is below the utility room floor, and we'd have to lift flooring to get to the hatch, so ....

Why would you need to get to the rear of the consumer unit ?( other than to change / correct the wiring ) Do you have access to the front of the consumer unit without the need to remove flooring. ?

Sounds like loose connections.

I think you must have misunderstood about taking a neutral from the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
The heat from a failed joint in the moulded on plug will be conducted into the socket and along copper conductors to the switch.

So, at the very least, you agree I should cut off the moulded plug and replace with a quality one?

What exactly did you switch off ? Was it the Main Switch or the MCB label sockets.

The MCB labelled Kitchen Sockets.

Either way something is wrong and an inspection should be carried out, preferably by someone qualified and not the person who installed the new sockets

OK

Why would you need to get to the rear of the consumer unit ?( other than to change / correct the wiring ) Do you have access to the front of the consumer unit without the need to remove flooring. ?

The cons unit is in the garage, one floor down from the Util room, but the other side of a supporting wall. As far as I can see, all the cabling from the consumer unit exits at the back of it, through this wall into the void space below the util room

Can you plug it in on another socket on the main ring somewhere first. I think EFL is probably on the right track a loose Neutral somewhere since it's a ring any socket or even at the DB.

If you can prove it's not the Tumble Dryer whatsoever by plugging it in elsewhere then this virtually proves the utility wiring is faulty.

If you're still having issues with it then replacing the plug and trying again afterwards and seeing if any heat builds up still?

Can you plug it in on another socket on the main ring somewhere first. I think EFL is probably on the right track a loose Neutral somewhere since it's a ring any socket or even at the DB.

If you can prove it's not the Tumble Dryer whatsoever by plugging it in elsewhere then this virtually proves the utility wiring is faulty.

If you're still having issues with it then replacing the plug and trying again afterwards and seeing if any heat builds up still?

Yes, I can run an extension from another room and see if I get the same heat doing that.

He had a look, cut back the nicked wire to good insulation, and took a look elsewhere. I didn't see everything that he did, but he declared that we had "lost a neutral somewhere" and I think he connected a neutral from (one of) the lighting circuits, within the consumer unit, to (one of) the ring mains to restore it. Didn't sound like standard practice to me, but....
The neutral, one of the two of a ring circuit, might have been put in the lighting MCB by mistake and he rectified that by moving it to the correct MCB.

I would not describe that as "connecting a neutral from the lighting circuit"

IGNORE

Last edited:
The neutral, one of the two of a ring circuit, might have been put in the lighting MCB by mistake

That is a mighty big mistake, but if you meant Live then that would explain the socket circuit being Live when the socket MCB was switched OFF.
But that has nothing to do with the over heating plugs and aockets.

Cheap sockets can fail at the switch, it does not 'make' correctly causing overheating.Bought 10 pack from Wickes once and had to replace 6 of them when switches failed.

I would clean the dryer plug pins with a kitchen scourer or that liquid that gets metal shiny.

(maybe some pics of it? etc)

Also remove the fuse cover and pic inside

I would clean the dryer plug pins with a kitchen scourer or that liquid that gets metal shiny.

(maybe some pics of it? etc)

Also remove the fuse cover and pic inside

OK, to follow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back