Washing machines not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

After a bit of help from the community! I recently installed an additional washing machine, and tried to connect the two washing machine's drain hose into the same drainage system. I purchased a multi-fit connection (McAlpine WM11 Appliance Trap, link below) to connect the two drain hoses.

I didn't use the standpipe that I had previously when there was only one machine machine, and connected both directly to the trap with jubilee clips (see photo). This is located quite close to the floor as well (approx 20cm).

When I tried to use both washing machines however, they both have a draining error, so I've definitely did something wrong! Reading through some online forums, I'm not sure if I have the drain pipe high enough, if it's an issue to have sealed it directly to the spigot rather than using a standpipe and if the drain opening is just too low down. I've tried manually lifting the hoses so it's going vertically into the trap whilst running the water drain programme on the washing machine but that did not help.

So I'm after some guidance please on what I'm doing wrong, and what can I do to fix this?

The net in the photo is just so I don't drop anything down it during assembly, it's not sealing the vent. The photo should hopefully explain what I have at the moment, the smaller section is just another view of it.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine...rc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

Attachments

• Washing machine photo.jpg
    Washing machine photo.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
are the spigots sealed? take them off and look/blow through them.

I believe they are delivered with blanking plugs.

As @JohnD posted - remove the blue plugs from inside the spigots.

It may seem an obvious question but what are you connecting the open end of the trap too - the open connection currently covered by the net.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back