Stain blocker flashing through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to DIY and new to this forum - hi.

I think I've just made life difficult for myself. We recently had our lounge replastered and I've now applied two mist coats. I was given some advice that the metal beading under a corner edge could rust through and some preventative action would help. There were also a few spots where (I think) the PVA glue had dripped on the plaster and left spots / thin patches in the mist coat. In an attempt to protect the corner I applied Bullseye 123, and also used this to spot prime the patches in the mist coat.

Was this totally wrong? I've just tested some top coat and it's flashing through big time. Not sure how to recover from this - keep adding more layers of top coat? Sand it back (I hope not)? Use a different primer / undercoat?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,
Adam

Sponsored Links
Zinsser BIN is known for flashing but 123 is usually ok. It will cover, the problem is more the texture of the paint than the colour.

Zinsser dries to a slight sheen while matt emulsion dries, well matt. :D

BIN is even more shiny.

Either try putting a coat of zinsser over the lot (a bit expensive) or just give the room a coat of good quality (no own brand stuff) matt white before adding the colour it should sort it out once the roller texture builds up.

It may also be the case that you used a roller for the mist coat and a brush for touching in so again a diferent texture either way the above should sort it ;)

Nice one - I'll give that a shot. We used Leyland Contract Matt for the mist coat so hopefully that's OK and I'll give it a less-diluted coat. Yes - roller for the mist and brush for the spot prime.

Thanks - spent last month in the lounge prepping and sanding everything in sight so keen to get this looking great. :)

Yes unless it specifically tells you to dilute the paint (I havent use that Leyland paint myself I tend to stick with Dulux Trade), I would use full strength you want a good base coat to get an even finish.

Sponsored Links
Yes unless it specifically tells you to dilute the paint (I havent use that Leyland paint myself I tend to stick with Dulux Trade), I would use full strength you want a good base coat to get an even finish.

Just to follow up on this, I used a couple of coats of full strength trade to give it a base, sanding down between coats to feather the edges properly. After that I painted over with topcoat.

As suggested it covered fine, it's just the texture that needed work. In the end with a matt top coat you can't see anything unless you're looking for it from a couple of inches away. Pleased with the results!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back