Painting over PVA spills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some walls skimmed and there are what I guess are PVA spills on the plaster. I've given the walls a mist coat but you can see the PVA marks through the mist coat. Should I apply some Stain Block to the areas and then give another watered down coat to stop any future problems?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Provided that the runs are not thick enough to feel, ie runs, you will be ok to just paint over them.

They are more visible because the mist coat was able to soak into the areas around them. Full fat coats of emulsion will suffer from this less as they tend to soak in less. After 2 top coats they should be invisible.

Me and granda rough agree with Joe, a thinned down coat of oil based undercoat over the wall, then emulsion on top,,, problem solved

Good luck :D

Sponsored Links
if it was me I would wet them and scrape them off with a broad metal scraper, then wet-sponge and scrape until I was sure all the residue was gone.

if it was me I would wet them and scrape them off with a broad metal scraper, then wet-sponge and scrape until I was sure all the residue was gone.

I agree that i would do as per your suggestion, but only if the pva was sitting proud of the plaster. In this case it seems to have been fairly diluted and to have soaked in, meaning that you wouldn't be able to scrape anything off.

Granted any emulsion applied over it will take marginally longer to dry but we are only looking at an hour or so.

If the room is going to be subjected to high levels of humidity them there is a risk that the moisture might re-activate the PVA but that were the case one shouldn't be using bog standard emulsion in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back