staining doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Having new hardwood doors fitted tomorrow and I was thinking of staining them oak as the wood is very light.

What can I use and what process should i follow?

Thanks in aDVANCE

Sponsored Links
Rustins (or similar)light or medium oak wood dye or , wipe the door with a turpsy rag then apply dye with a muslin cloth ..Test first on the hinged edge ..Thin if neccessary
Alternatively use a coloured flat/satin varnish , oil-based , not the quick-drying water-based crap ! ;)

Rustins (or similar)light or medium oak wood dye or , wipe the door with a turpsy rag then apply dye with a muslin cloth ..Test first on the hinged edge ..Thin if neccessary
Alternatively use a coloured flat/satin varnish , oil-based , not the quick-drying water-based crap ! ;)

hi

after putting on the wood dye, can I seal it and finish it with Danish oil?

Danish should be applied straight to new/untreated wood ..If youd prefer a tint then add some wood dye to the oil ;)

Sponsored Links
What you have to remember is that if the door is possibly a mahogany type hardwood and not an oak veneer then even with an oak stain it might not look like oak after. As LJW says test a patch on an edge first to see what colour your going to get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back