Dulux Wethershield Ultimate Wood Stain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I is a chippy and not a painter and decorator hence the question I am about to ask.

Customer has chosen Dulux Weathershield Ultimate Wood Stain in Light Oak to go on her new external door and frame which I will be installing.

The conundrum is that the door is made from Sapele and the frame is a sapele colour. Is this type of woodstain capable of changing a red/pinky hardwood to resemble light oak?

Opinions would be gratefully received as this job is becoming a bit of a nightmare, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sort of, depends on how many coats you apply, depends on what the Customer thinks light oak looks like.
The Customer has asked you to use this product, they cant blame you if they dont like it, Woodstains can be difficult

Seems a shame to mess with a nice looking hardwood, i guess its all down to personal taste but i think a clear coat of varnish would be better, if the client wanted an oak finish why not use oak as the timber?, price perhaps?
Maybe you could put some on an off cut first and show it to the client?

Thank you for your replies, problem solved, its going to be painted instead, thank fully.

May I ask what is the better preservative to use on wood prior to undercoating. I am using weather shield undercoat ad weather shield gloss. I was going to use cuprinol preservative but have been informed that the undercoat may not stick to it? Or could I just use a Primer/Undercoat.

Thank you in advance chirpy.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back