Front door finishing - advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Newbie here, hoping to get some advice on treating a new front door.

I just bought a new Jeld-Wen "Croft" front door from their "Kensington & Mackintosh" range. It's an engineered oak veneer door and the care instructions on their website state that the door must be sealed with a suitable base sealer before then painting/varnighing/staining the door, following the instructions of your chosen finish. They also recommend only water-based products.

I want to use a wood stain rather than a Dulux Weathershield type exterior paint system to preserve the natural wood grain and finish of the door. I was considering "Ronseal 5yr Woodstain" to finish the door but they do not sell any base-sealers and they actually recommend using three coats of the woodstain without any sealer at all. Will this product provide adequate protection for my, exposed and west-facing, new door or are there any other systems out there that would do a better job on this type of door?

Many thanks for any advice offered!
Matt

Sponsored Links
Matt,

You need to obtain more advice on this, the problem here is not only the veneer but the bonding agent that is used to hold it fast. The application could interfere with the agent thus causing the veneer to lift.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back