Soffits and Fascias

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My soffits and fascias were originally stained I believe. They're starting to look very tired now and down to bare-wood, especially along the south-facing gable-end wall. To be fair, the soffits (the underside?) look in decent nick and there is no bare-wood present on them.

I'm considering doing them myself but may end up getting a man in. I want some advice on the preparation and paint system.

My thoughts were to give the whole lot a light sand but paying special attention where the wood stain is peeling and bare-wood is present.

Then:
  • Two coats of Dulux Weathershield Quick Dry Undercoat
  • Two coats of Dulux Weathershield Exterior Satin
I need the paint/undercoat to be brown in colour to preserve the appearance of the property. The soffits were originally stained mahogany brown I believe and the window frames are wooden and stained mahogany.

Will this paint system be compatible with going over the woodstain in the soffits which are still in decent nick compared to the fascias but once somebody is up there the whole lot may as well be decorated.

Is this colour available for this paint system? Should I be considering another manufacturer? I've never had any external paintwork (other than Ronseal 10 year exterior woodstain for the windows) so am unable to judge.

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Me personally I would thoroughly rub down all woodwork and apply a coat of woodprimer first.

Sponsored Links
I just read down to bare wood on gable end, thats why I am saying give it all a good rub down and dust and primer over the woodstain before you start undercoating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back