Staining from new closeboard fence onto newly rendered wall below

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hopefully I have put this in the right place.

I have a retaining wall down the side of my property about 6ft high. The wall was rendered this summer as it was bare before and looked terrible. After it had all dried etc, we painted it white with Sandtex. The retaining wall had a closeboard fence on top already that the neighbour put up years ago (about 4ft high). So to make our side look nicer, I checked with him and then installed closeboard all the way down, matching the height on his side. All looked perfect. Then it started raining and we saw stains all the way down the wall. We thought this was because we hadn't painted the closeboard. So, we painted the whole thing dark grey and repainted the wall. Once all dried, rain comes again and the staining is getting worse.

So, any ideas of how to tackle this?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, that would have been helpful to begin with!

IMG_4382.jpg

Maybe excess stain that hadn't fully dried.
The trouble with rough sawn timber is the ability to hold dirty and dust on the surface too. Then when it rains it washes down onto the wall.
Has the top of the wall under the fence been rendered too as dust etc may of been sat on there.

You could get the masonary paint colour matched to the fence colour. Give it all a good wash and see if it gets worse or not. I got waney lap panels over the concrete base boards that are 3 high. I stained the panels blue and the posts gravel boards cream. Haven't had this issue but i did it when we had a good dry spell. If it gets worse dont waste money repainting the same colours now as weather too dodgy to get a few dry days together.
YOU COULD PUT A SMALL DRIP LIP AT BASE OF FENCE TO STOP IT RUNNING DOWN THE WALL.

Sponsored Links
Pity, that all looks very neat and clean.
sorry, i cant help you with the staining.
try the painter's forum?

fwiw: your render should not be in ground contact - it should have had a Bellcast fixed about 50mm above ground level.

how is the fencing fixed - is there framing at the back?
is the retaining wall stepped up 4ft to your neighbours level?

Hi. Thanks for your comments. It was in the summer that this was done, so it was nice and dry. Perhaps it is the other side of the fence that hasn't been painted, the stain that is washing down the back and out underneath. Any advice on what would be best to clean it off the render? I thought about putting coping on top as a drip but the retaining wall slants in as it gets higher, so I think the water would just catch the wall a bit lower down anyway.

Sorry, I have no idea about that, what is bellcast? The framing is done with 75mm (I think) posts which sit in bolt in post holders. Then arris rails all the way along fitted to my side of the posts. The neighbour has done the same his side. The neighbours side is his driveway. I would say the total height his side is about 5ft.

Hi Again.

A bellcast is a bead that runs along the bottom of the render. This is where the render ends so as not to be in contact at ground level. If the render touching the ground it can absorb moisture and fail. Looks like the fence has been built quite well by the description you have given. The messing around to fit capping etc would be a nightmare.
I would go for a masonary paint the same colour as the fence.

Try giving the fence a good clean first and see if the discolouration gets worse. That staining may only be from the excess wood stain.

One last thing... When the post holders were fitted did you sweep away the brick dust ? Brick dust mixed with water on a light coloured surface will stain.

Ah yes, that was used along the top - I did a google and recognised the plastic beading. Yes, I would need to remove all the closeboard and then add capping and put it all back - not the end of the world if it resolved the issue but I would be pretty annoyed if it just carried on afterwards.

Any ideas of what to use to clean the fence and/or wall?

Yes, as the plasterer rendered the top of the wall too as he didn't know how far back my fence was going to be.

Hi Again.
One last thing... When the post holders were fitted did you sweep away the brick dust ? Brick dust mixed with water on a light coloured surface will stain.

Ah, I just read that again. The post holders were fitted by the last people who lived there, probably about 10 years ago!

Right that rules the dust out. How far do you think the capping will have to come out to stop an drips on the wall. If it a fair few inches it may look daft.

Sandtex do a vermont grey paint. Might look nice against the gravel

Not sure exactly, it would be a few inches for sure. Trouble is, our bungalow and wall at the front is white, so it sort of matches in. But the stains can't stay, it looks horrendous, so might have to paint a different colour - time to talk to the wife!

Any ideas on what to clean the stains off with?

Thanks again for your advice.

Is there anything available that would 'seal' the paint on the wall to stop stains from sticking to the paint?

Ooooh the wife. I've had those conversations. Best way round that is take her shoe/handbag shopping and pop the colour change question just after a purchase. Works for me.

I clean my sandtex with Fairy in hot water with a soft bristle brush but mine on brick and concrete. Go easy on rendering and i'd stay clear of a pressure washer unless it got variable flow so you can turn it down. As for a paint that stainproof i'd pop a post in the paint/deco forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back