staining ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys :D , now that i have finished making built in wardrobes out of 18mm thick birch ply, it is time to stain the ply. As the doors will be Pine effect (stanley sliding doors), i would like to sain the ply a similar colour.

What is the correct procedure for rubbing down and staining :?: (What grade sand paper should i use, how many coats should i apply, etc)

What type of stain would be best to use :?:

What would be best to apply the stain :?:

Sponsored Links
Steve..

Id normally do the following...

Get some oil based wood dye...not the sadolin sikkiens type

Add about 30% oil based varnish..this will allow it to go further and raised the grain so it can be sanded flatter

Paint over the surface and immeadiatly wipe over with a soft lintless rag...an old cotton t shirt will do

Allow to dry and rub down in the direction of the grain or in the direction you intend to lay it off..

then apply a couple of coats of oil based varnish, eggshell varnish is my preference it gives a more natural waxed look.

Thanks for your reply zampa, it was very helpful.

Could you reccomned a dye as i am having problems finding an oil based dye?

Also should i use a clear oil based varinsh mixed with the oil based dye? (or should i just use the same eggshell varnish used for the final two coats)

Once again thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Colron make one..I cant for the life of me remember the name of the other one.

You can certainly mix it with the first coat it raises the grain and allows the stuff to go further too.

For the final coat go for a proper floor varnish not just ordinary eggshell or sating finish they may scratch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back