Birch Plywood Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to line the walls of a room with plywood and stain them a light green. I have been told that birch is the best but will need a pre stain wood conditioner to stop blotching etc.

On the other hand I am told this is an American affectation and a good coating of white spirit left to dry and fine sanded is just as good.

I want to show as much grain as possible but as Manns do not do green woodstain to use green food dye thinned and then a coat of Fiddes Hard Wax Oil.

I have coated a small sheet of ply with white spirt and it has come up and really nice brown.

Would I get this colour by simply coating the ply with hard wax and no stain ?

I have also been advised than a simple pine ply would give me the same if not more grain and is easier to work with than birch.

So birch or pine for grain and stain ?

What would give me a nice warm red/brown finish on birch or pine ply ?

Is white spirit a good way of stopping blotching ?

To get a brown/ green finish would a thin coat of green stain watered down and then sanded be OK. ?

I do this with wood and get a good finish but would it work with ply which i have never used before.?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you considered the fire safety issues?
Are you covering all of the walls? Is your ply fire-retardant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back