Paint wash ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am lining a room with Russian birch plywood. I have stained most of it with red mahogony wax but want one wall with a lighter yellow wash as contrast.

I already have undercoat and finish paint in yellow but the daft question is do I use the undercoat or the satin topcoat or doesnt it matter ?

I want it thin enough to see the grain but need the yellow (Albany Butter) to show as it will match the ceiling. I understand equal paint to water would be the best bet applied lightly by brush with the grain. Is that the way to go as both deeing the grain and the yellow is important and to finish with clear Briwax of Fiddes Hard wax oil or similar ?

I have just painted some wooded posts with the u/c without watering it down and the grain just about shows through quite nicely so I think with that it would be OK just to seal it in with a coat of clear Bri Wax or Fiddes Hard Wax Oil ?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back