Stainless steel CH pipework - concerns?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

My new early 1970's house has stainless steel pipework on the lower floor and running to the water tank, etc with copper pipe running to the upstairs bedrooms.

I'm wanting to change the full system except the pipework (as I have nailed down chipboard sheets).

Is the pipework and issue? There is a magnaclean fitted to the existing system (which still works) and a chemical flush (if required) and inhibitor will be put in.

Thanks and hopefully renewing the pipework is not essential.

Cheers
Fluff

Sponsored Links
Perhaps your pipework is zinc plated steel tube sometimes called passivated zinc.This was widely used at the time of the copper shortage during 1970+ iirc :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Pastivated zinc/truwell horrible stuff. Stainless steel OK depending on how it's jointed - can you post some pictures.

• :mrgreen:

u post pictures

It was one of the plumbers who raised it as stainless steel who was quoting. There is a left over bit of pipework that my hubby sealed back under the floor. I will get it out tonight and take a picture of the unused bit and the joints to one of the radiators. Thanks for taking the time to advise.

would be very surprised if it is stainless steel , as already advised more likely to be truwell, feel around the pipe and if you can feel a seam then it is truwell, nasty stuff and will give you no end of problems, if it proves to be truwell, do not try any kind of chemical cleaning or flushing .

Put a magnet to it, if it attracts it is Truewell. As for nasty stuff it's lasted almost 50 years so it would have been put together with the correct flux not bad service really. Mostly it failed within three to five years and broke many heating company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back