Stainless steel pop rivets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got experience using the above. I am using them for the first time & wrecked my trusty old gun by having to extend the handles with a couple of lengths of pipe. I can manage alloy ones one handed but these stainless ones are proving a real problem even with a new heavy duty gun designed for stainless rivets. I'm wondering if they are always a problem or I've been sold a faulty batch. Only using 10mm x 4mm dia. rivets to secure 2 x 2mm thick pieces of flat stainless plate together so did not think they would be this difficult to use.Tried 4mm & 4.5mm holes. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just reading the title I thought they'd be a pain!.

It's a hard material so will take a fair bit off effort to deform them in rivet form.

You may have to finish them off with a hammer and anvil if you get stuck?.

Seen them used on jobs, but only with pneumatic rivetters. They are going to be a lot tougher to use than ally ones

Sponsored Links
For anyone else that needs to use these there is a bit of a technique that helps but does not make it easy. The problem is getting the pins to shear not actually forming the rivet. After the first pull you normally have to push the gun back hard up to the rivet head the squeeze again to shear the pin. If you do not push it all the way back ( about 0.5mm gap) then the gun arms will go together a bit allowing you to get a better grip to then shear the pin off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back