Stainless steel screws - need some recommendations please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some stainless steel screws for an outside job (on some fence posts). I want stainless steel for their anti-rusting (as opposed to coated galvanised screws).

Already bought one highly scored set on Amazon only to find that the heads come off when doing the final tightening ........... I didn't drill pilot holes first, shouldn't be necessary in this case and, as pointed out, the heads broke off when the screws were fully in the hole and being tightened.

The fence posts aren't made of oak or any particularly hard and dense wood.

Screws must be 5mm x 50mm

I can trawl online but would rather have a recommendation please to avoid any issues, more returns, more time wasted, etc.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot, will find somewhere to buy some online.

BTW, the ones that broke were TERF screws.

Stainless is a bit softer than the usual galvanised screws. It's best to use correctly sized pilot holes, lubricant, or pre-make a hole with a normal screw.

I've used Stainless Ultra screws from $crewfix, but 5x50 are only available in 200 pack.
Spax are a bit less...

Sponsored Links
Thanks, didn't realise that stainless were a bit softer. Even so, bearing in mind the not-excessively-hard wood that I screw them into I'm very surprised that some broke.

Also, they only broke during the final tightening, in other words they were fully in and I only 'snugged them up' at the end just to finish.

They like to snap, they come In the dry hip roof kits, hefty 4" jobs to fix roofing battens to the hip rafters, they usually break when they're into the older dense timber - that little bit of contact of the head seems to be enough to finish them off.

the heads come off when doing the final tightening ........... I didn't drill pilot holes

Yes, you've identified the reason.

Most stainless screws (and many other items) are made of poor quality Chinese steel, which is soft and weak.

This is deliberate. Buyers insist on cheap metal made without nickel.

I am sure that Chinese steelmakers are capable of making good metal for any customer who wants it and is prepared to pay for it.

A2 stainless is a more expensive alloy, if the items you order are in fact made to that specification, they will be much better. It is the specification widely used for saucepans, sinks, and better tableware, so very common.

I've nearly always bought the generic ones from Toolstation. They have performed well and the heads tend to stay on.

TurboUltra from screwfix are good too, and worth stocking up on when they have their sales.

Yes, you've identified the reason.

Most stainless screws (and many other items) are made of poor quality Chinese steel, which is soft and weak.

This is deliberate. Buyers insist on cheap metal made without nickel.

I am sure that Chinese steelmakers are capable of making good metal for any customer who wants it and is prepared to pay for it.

A2 stainless is a more expensive alloy, if the items you order are in fact made to that specification, they will be much better. It is the specification widely used for saucepans, sinks, and better tableware, so very common.

Thanks, the TERF screws that I bought were supposedly A2 .......... but I'm not convinced. Are TERF Chinese?

Also, as I now plan to go for TIMCO I guess those really are A2 steel?

Last edited:
I've nearly always bought the generic ones from Toolstation. They have performed well and the heads tend to stay on.

TurboUltra from screwfix are good too, and worth stocking up on when they have their sales.

Useful to know, thanks for the heads up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back