Stainless Steel Window bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this is the best place to ask about metal bar installation.
We had a break-in through a small and accessible window downstairs which is out of sight on the side of the house.
I have replaced this window about 10 years ago. I put a double glazed pain into a timber frame after removing the old metal single pain frame (old pantry). It was very well siliconed in and the guy had to squize through glass shards pointing at him from all sides. I disturbed him and the broken window was the only damage / loss.
I have toyed with the idea ob unobtrusive bars for a while but have never followed it through.
Once made what is the best way of fixing them into the brickwork?
Big tamper-proof bolts or welded ankers mortared in?

Sponsored Links
Inside or outside?

You could just drill the masonry longer on one side than the other and slide them in, although it's less secure but they may not realise. When my brother bought a house the GP who had owned it had been burgled for drugs (probably) so she filled bars that had tubing around them. Very hard to cut as they spun on the internal bars

Or rawl bolts with security bolts that snap/round off though a welded frame ?

https://www.fastenright.com/brand/shear-snap-off

It will be on the outside. That link might be it.

Sponsored Links
Stainless steel is relatively soft and could be easy to saw through. High security grilles are sometimes made from Manganese steel (the sort of steel used to fabricate compactor bodies on bin lorries) which is difficult to saw or drill - and you van always get it plated to suit your requirements

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back