Stains on Varnish

S

Shutpa

We live in a Wimpey's house and the bannisters have been covered with what seems to be a one-coat varnish. As a result uf hanging washing over the rail upstairs a series of black marks has appeared along its length. I would like to rub the rail down and perhaps varnish the whole thing again. Any suggestions? In particular, I would like to know about one-coat varnishes since the ones I have used in the past have been almost transparent with just a hint of teak, antique pine and so on.

Sponsored Links
Your handrails will have been done with a combined stain and varnish. This is done for speed. stain and varnish together is never very good as its trying to stain the wood and varnish it at the same time. Much better with a seperate stain then a good polyurethene satin varnish to finish off. From your description it sounds like moisture has gotten under the varnish and began to stain the wood black. The only way forward is to strip the handrails and sand down hopefully through the water mark and start again.......and dont hang the washing on them !!! :eek:

Cheers for that Robbie. As you say its been done for speed which is natural, or perhaps typical of big housebuilders. I dont want to rub the whole bannister down since the horizontal rail upstairs is the only bit needing attention. Can you recommend a good stain which has a variety of shades or finishes. For the benefit of the comedians, I dont mean a variety of shades in one and the same tin.

Sponsored Links
Blackfriars is a good stain, there are a few similar ones. Then varnish over when dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back