staining or painting a varnished gate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a bit of a dilemma. I have a just got a new front gate.It was given to me by a friend that had made it but then decided not to use it.It is made of planned pine and he has given it a couple of light coats of varnish.
My problem is,my fence is stained dark oak.I would like to stain the gate so it is all the same colour. Any suggestions as to what the best course of action is?
Do i paint it with out door paint or is there a way to stain it now its varnished?

Sponsored Links
Hi ukflyer

It's going to be hard espcaly if it's just pine; the first coat will have really soaked in and sealed the wood so the stain will not be able to penatrat.

That the end of the day you can try a couple of things and if they don't turn out as a last resort it can always be painted.

Again Nitromores or pop it round to a door dipper; the thing is if as I said it penatrated the pine you may get deffrent shades of stain, it's trail and erro.

Good luck with it

T

http://hubpages.com/hub/Painting-Tips-and-Tricks

Give it a good rub down as best as you can and apply a couple of coats of water based stain, like Ronseal or sadolin, although this will really only stay on the surface it will cover quite well. Water based stain does not penetrate into the surface of any wood like an oil based one will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back