Stain over paint

20 Aug 2009
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Many years ago on a pub refurbishment, I noticed a technique where some old painted doors were given a makeover to look like stain/varnished doors.

It seemed they were painted with a grey undercoat, then later a brown stain was applied and they looked like proper stained or varnished wood.

Can someone explain exactly how to do this for me?
Sponsored Links
It is a skilled technique to get a good finish when trying to grain over painted surfaces. You will require a few different tools such as a cutting tool (comb like brush), a softening bush (some times called a badger softener) and a dragging brush. You will also have to mix up scumble glaze and white spirit and the required pigment. This technique can be very difficult to make it look natural but given time and effort it can look really good. It's certainly been a while since I've had to do it, but I'm sure someone else will come on with some more detailed advice for you!

Quite a useful video to show the basics,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links