Stair handrail help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, I'm hoping someone may be able to help.

I'm currently in the process of pricing up some stair handrails (wall mounted) for 2 flights of stairs and a separate horizontal run around 1m. I'm hoping to get a 3.6m and a 4.2m Hemlock HRD hand rail and use the off cut from the 4.2 for the horizontal run.

The problem I have it that I only need the handrail to be grooved for the horizontal run spindles, and not so much for the rails to be fitted to the walls. In fact the place I'm looking to buy them only sell grooved rails so the choice is made unless I look elsewhere. For ease I'd prefer to just get them from this place.

My question is: Is it normal to fit grooved HRD handrails to walls, and will it look odd if I don't cap the ends? Is general practice to leave them with the groove visible or fill in with a fillet?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back