Handrail for stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new handrail to our stairs. The staircase does a 180 turn to reach the 1st floor landing, I think it's called a double winder, there is no 1/2 landing.
To fit the handrail so that it runs the full length of the main section, I'd like to fit the last couple of feet horizontally. I have worked out the angle I need to set on the cross-saw, but I'm not sure how to go about joining the pieces at that point.
I don't own anything like a dowel jig or biscuit jointer.
The handrail will be painted softwood, so I was thinking of using screws and glue.
I will fit handrail brackets either side of the join.

Sponsored Links
You can buy articulated brackets for this

But personally I'd buy a longish metal strap and bend it to the correct angle then screw it under the handrail
Most handrails come with a rebate and fillets to fit. Don't buy a strap that's too thick or you'll have to recess it. A shallow one is easier and you could sand the fillets to cover them

I would still use a dowel or peg and a fair amount of glue on the join. There should be enough wiggle room especially if you do trial fits

Steel strap sounds a great way to strengthen the join.
Do you think I could make a careful drill hole on the top side from one piece to other and push a dowel through, after the strap is secured.
Glued it all up and sand down the dowel ends.

Sponsored Links
I'd use a dowel and drill carefully. You can probably enlarge one hole for corrections and add sawdust to PVA to hold the dowels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back