stair lift

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I am buying a used stair lift for my wife and Iv`e got to pick it up 100 miles away the problem is its 14ft long (too long for my car)
and I only need it to be 12ft long will I be able to cut a couple of feet off using a hacksaw ? the cover of the track is aluminium so no probs there its the actual toothed section I am concerned about, I know there is an electric cable involved but I am an electrician so no probs there its just that I don't know what type of metal the track is made off cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Track is generally steel.
Got a angle grinder?

yes I have but I`m picking it up from a friend of a friends lock up and there might not be any electrics available, as long as its not case hardened or stainless steel it should be manageable it might take a long time and a lot of blades but I can live with that cheers Colin

Still don't think it will fit in your car ,, even with 2ft chopped off. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Still don't think it will fit in your car ,, even with 2ft chopped off. ;) ;) ;)

Hi I have taken out the front passenger seat and collapsed the 2nd row and tried it with a length of 4x4 plastic guttering pushed into the footwell and I have a 32" over hang so if I chop 24" off that leaves an 8" overhang I can saftely transport it like that cheers though Colin

Before you chop the end off the track, they usually are a couple of feet longer than the staircase. If they were the same length as the staircase, the chair would start over the bottom step, and stop precariously close to the edge of the top step.

I have an old stairlift stored in the back of the garage at the moment. The track for that one is in two sections, bolted together with fishplates.

The track I have is an extruded aluminium section, and the toothed rack fixed to it for the drive is steel.

Have you considered using a roof rack?

Hi thanks for your input yes I had suggested a roof rack and was told it was far too heavy pity you wern`t closer

If you know the weight then maybe do a online quote for delivery instead. They can be very reasonable price sometime

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back