Stair width to landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read up on all the regs i think.
But does the stair width refer to the treads or the walls?
Obviously the treads plus stringers is wider.
Should the landing be the width of the treads or walls?
I'm really tight on the 42 degrees so these couple of inches make a big difference.
Matron.
Thanks.
John :)

Sponsored Links
There's only one reference to this measurement in the whole of the regs to my knowledge and that applies to ambulant stairs for public access staircases! I'd measure it between the walls but as the inspector will be signing it off a call to BC may be in order. :idea: What width have you got? You know you can go down to 600mm. Frankly if you're short by an inch or two I doubt BC will mind especisally if you can justify why (ie the stairs won't work otherwise). The regs are only a guide not cast in stone.

Thanks for the reply.
At the moment I don't know the exact measurements believe it or not.
It's a major - to me - renovation.
The concrete floor downstairs is very uneven and I haven't had chance yet to see what the finished height will be.
It was my architect who said there wasn't enough space to put a straight stairs in without a turn at the top.
I've knocked out walls that were 2 feet thick and replaced them with 4 inch walls, which gives me loads more room. However, he still feels there;s not enough.
I've spent hours and hours measuring and using online calculators for stairs, and I get a foot to spare with my total tread.
If I'm wrong, that's why I wondered about the width to landing.
I'm no expert, but I'm sure I can't be wrong to the tune of a foot!
I'll ring the BC officer as you suggest.
Thanks again.
John. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back