Staircase headache

I totally agree that some would take the proverbial to cut corners .... I think it's important to determine the difference between that scenario and a genuine restriction

Sponsored Links
We got sufficient headroom over the landing of our loft conversion by putting in a Velux window.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
There is already a velux over the landing but because of the roof shape then any velux to create more headroom would either have to be hard up against the gable end.

or what ? .... anyway the BC has been today and agreed on a steeper stairs to pull the landing point back to give us more headroom.
My stairs are still tighter than a nuns **** so any space saving ideas would be awesome.

I have a stair well 2400 x 1100 and I need to get up 3020 .......

If its 3020, try 14 risers @ 215.7mm.

If you have 4 winders (rather than the usual 3) at top and bottom, you should be able to get 13 treads in.

(B.C. don't usually like 4 winders as it reduces the tread-widths at the newel, but the BS 5395 for spiral stairs allows this as long as the minimum width is 600, and minimum going at the centre is 145mm.
Scan0011.jpg

If you have 4 winders (rather than the usual 3) at top and bottom, you should be able to get 13 treads in.

(B.C. don't usually like 4 winders as it reduces the tread-widths at the newel, but the BS 5395 for spiral stairs allows this as long as the minimum width is 600, and minimum going at the centre is 145mm.View attachment 100934
You have 4 treads between the winders and quote the length as 800mm. The treads should be 240mm long to go with the rise so you can only fit in 3 treads. Put one in at the top after the winder to make up the number.

Really appreciate the replies but I'm struggling to get a winder in at the bottom because the stairs need to fit into a corridor.

See picture attached ... Existing door and wall is coming out, new door on the left leaving 2.4m run to get up and round.

The only other option I guess is to break into the ajoining room and have a double winder at the top ( rather not of I can help it )

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 132
Can I ask you why do you need two winders? you can go straight up through where your door is showing in the picture, with the first riser just where the door is , reduce the width to 700mm which is still handsome width for a loft stairs, and since you will also be removing the door, so you go up a straight flight that will give you 10 risers, and a top winder 700x700 giving you 3 more risers and then 3 more risers or 2 goings to the left of the top winder, giving you a total of 15 risers, just over 200mm each, the angle is going to be around 45deg.

I have exact same situation as you proposed but my corridor is wider than yours, and my total run is only 2.2m.

Width of my stairs is 760 which is half the width of my corridor/passage. Overall the length is 2.2m whereas yours is 2.4m

If you restrict your width to 700, this will give you roughly 350mm past the novel post to squeeze through side ways for using the space under the stairs, or you could incorporate this 350mm space into the room on the left and use the space under the stairs as part of your room storage with doors, like a wardrobe.

Last edited:
So you have a drawing of your stairs at all please ?

Also I wanted to fit a child's bed under the stairs in the new room

(B.C. don't usually like 4 winders as it reduces the tread-widths at the newel, but the BS 5395 for spiral stairs allows this as long as the minimum width is 600, and minimum going at the centre is 145mm.View attachment 100934
You have 4 treads between the winders and quote the length as 800mm. The treads should be 240mm long to go with the rise so you can only fit in 3 treads. Put one in at the top after the winder to make up the number.
As it is a staircase to a single-room loft conversion and space is tight, OP would be allowed a pitch > 42°, hence the shorter tread.

Yes I have a verbal agreement for 45 degree max ...... with a shorter tread I don't really like the idea of a 4 box winder at the top tbh

I don't have any drawing, but can draw you one as the stair builder designed and build it in situ from his own plans. Charged me £1,100 including all the material, He marked along the walls to guide him. It worked out very well, and I didn't need to go for BC as I am intending to use my loft for storage and not as living space. BC would have most likely accepted it at just under 45degrees it is, as I don't feel they are particularly steep, and I have two 3 step winders one at lower level and one at 3/4 way up and a further 4 steps into the loft opening.

This loft stairs run over the main flight of stairs from downstairs to first floor, and gives me 1.9m clearance in the middle above the main stairs, which I was told by the builder was acceptable by BC if it came to get their approval, (but who knows if he is right) Though I have not had any incidents anyone striking their head into it, even a mate who is 6 foot tall just cleared it with inches to spare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back