Stairlift Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am planning on removing a stairlift that is no longer needed. I am wandering if I am doing it correctly:

The power comes from the C.Unit to a FCU and then into a RCCB. I am planning on removing the RCCB but leaving it wired to the FCU and removing it's fuse.

Is this satisfactory/safe/legal? Or does it need taking back to the C.Unit? If so, is this relatively straight forward (there is no power to the property at the minute).

I am training to be a spark at the mo, but as you can tell, I am a good while off yet!

All answers appreciated.

Sponsored Links
crunchynut said:
The power comes from the C.Unit to a FCU and then into a RCCB. I am planning on removing the RCCB but leaving it wired to the FCU and removing it's fuse.

I am slightly confused in what you say you want to do, anything you do must leave the installaton safe, no exposed live wires etc. If you are wanting to leave the FCU in place, disconnect the outgoing wires from it and block up holes. You could even swop the fcu for a socket, normal socket circuit requirement depending.
Once the RCCB is dead you can remove it and the stair lift.

Quote from myself! "The power comes from the C.Unit to a FCU and then into a RCCB. I am planning on removing the RCCB but leaving it wired to the FCU and removing it's fuse".

When I say this (in bold) I mean leaving the wires from the C.U to the FCU. Not leaving the stairlift wired to the FCU. as the stairlift will not be there!!

I am taking it as the RCCB is one of those powerbreaker ones, which you want for your shed? :D

Sponsored Links
I was amending myself as you replied, after I realised it was confusing also!

I was planning on removing the outgoing wires (to the RCB), and just leaving the wires going from the C.U to the FCU. No holes to block as they entered through the back of pattress. No exposed wired either.

Cheers Spark

The RCCB has got a Stannah label on it. Think it's a standard 30Ma jobby. Not at house now, so not definate.

THANK YOU! Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!

While your "forum-ing", any advances on my mirror panel thread!

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back