Can an FCU be removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no electrical knowledge whatsoever, so I am hoping someone can clue me in!

I have recently moved into an apartment built in the 80's. The kitchen has 4 switchless FCU's at various points and apart from possibly the oven and extractor fan I have no idea what they are connected to.

I am looking to install a dishwasher and in the space (cupboard next to the sink) where I was planning to do this, is yet another FCU!

How can I tell what these are connected to?
Is it at all possible that this could be removed to make way for the dishwasher?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I take it they don't have switches but must have screws to remove the fuse. Turn the appliances off remove fuses one by one and see which one doesn't work when they're switched back on.

I am going to guess (since you don't say) that the height of these is about 200mm above worktop height.

See if there is an outlet underneath.

Some people use this method for connecting under-counter appliances such as fridges and dishwashers.

they are also used for boilers, extractor fans, cooker hoods, and occasionally wall lighting.

If you are competent and safe to do it, turn off the power and have a look inside the FCU to see which direction the cables go in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back