STAIRS AND NEWL POSTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need help with a project i need to tackle but havent a clue where to start. In the house there is only a top handrail which attacheds to the one newel post which has split. i need to replace this but havent a clue where to start as cannot see how its attached toe floor etc.

Further to the post I have cut off the old split newel post, it is the newel post on the landing, there is no handrail running to the bottom of the staircase, only a straight landing.

Well as i said I have cut off the old split newel turning and had to cut a bit of the the newel base, now I have a dilema, I have bought a new newel turning which is to be attached to the unfortunately shortened base, now if i did this the handrail will only reach a height of 800mm, and i know this is too short.

What do i do? Do I tray and build the newel post up in height by addaing a new bit of wood or replace to whole newel post which is my leats favoured option as its very solid and i dont want to disturb it by probably replacing it with a not so rigid one.

Or to i just go with a height of 800mm

Any suggestions would be really appreciated, if i was to build the newel base up how best to do it, im thinking glue and maybe a thick dowling in the centre, dont really want to use screews as im not painting it i want a wood finsih

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back