stairs and underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought an upper flat that is accessed via front door, entrance vestibule and staircase (wooden stairs not concrete.) because it's essentially the only way in/out of the property it will be subject to quite heavy traffic. in addition it's a BTL so I don't want the new stair carpet I lay to wear/flatten quickly.

the existing carpet is a paper thin affair with an equally thin foam backing. I'll be replacing it with a decent quality (not cheapest not most expensive) hessian backed carpet that is designed for use in heavy traffic areas.

the thing is, to ensure it doesn't wear/flatten too quickly, is it best to use underlay on the treads or not? i.e. what approach will elongate the lifespan of the carpet without it looking tired where folk have walked?

Sponsored Links
I'm no carpet expert, but as a householder I'd say yes, you should use the best quality underlay you can afford everywhere, especially stairs. I've learned that lesson.

When it comes to carpet, look up the pros and cons of polypropylene vs wool and decide what's right for you. With a stair carpet I'd say (80/20 wool blend) would be best to minimise flattening. It's more expensive but better over time. But as it's a BTL you might want to go for cheap polypropylene and replace more frequently, depends on the size and your budget. Avoid foam backing like the plague, do they still make it?

It's worth going to an independent shop for advice, you can also get a competitive price on underlay and fitting than from the big ones.

Thanks for reply and advice, yes you still get foam backed but rightly or wrongly i never use them. The carpet i buy will be middle range hessian back. It's an independent i buy from and they're pretty good at giving advice however i like to canvass opinion from multiple sources ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back