Suitable carpet & underlay for different rooms/requireme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're quite a way off being ready to re-carpet most of the house but the 3rd bedroom i was hoping to get done on my week off in a couple of weeks so while i'm at it, i thought i'd ask about the other rooms too & i can refer back to this thread when the time comes.

Basically i'd just like to know what type of carpet is advised for the various rooms & also good underlay to go with it.

3rd bedroom - I'll ask this first since it's the one that will be ready first. It will primarily be used as a study/PC room but if we have a child then it'd end up being a bedroom. Low traffic. Something nice & soft but that doesn't wear thin quickly.

Living Room - obviously wanting it to be a hard wearing carpet. Is that actually a term you ask for - 'hard wearing' or is there better variations in the carpet world? I don't want to be replacing it every 5 years & it going thin super quick.
At the same time, with it being the most used room, i'd like it to be comfortable.

Stairs - again, obviously something hard wearing with all the traffic it's going to get.

Diner - we may go carpet so i guess this will be the same type as living room & stairs.

Bedroom - something nice & soft. If this means it wears thin quickly then we'd have to sacrifice the softness as i don't want it to only last 5 minutes.

Would you trust the carpet fitter to suggest underlay? I wasn't aware you could get so many different types.

At the moment i'd just be going in & selecting based on colour which i know is not the best of ideas.

Sponsored Links
3rd bedroom - I'll ask this first since it's the one that will be ready first. It will primarily be used as a study/PC room but if we have a child then it'd end up being a bedroom. Low traffic. Something nice & soft but that doesn't wear thin quickly.

Study/PC room carpet can get wrecked quickly by the legs/castors of the desk chair.

Also for a child, shorter pile is easier to clean fluids off and a shorter pile with a firmer base (thin or no underlay) is easier to play cars/lego on.

You can always use rugs in places you want the soft and fluffy touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back