Stairs have turned orange!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I sanded down the old brown varnish and then painted with white primer, undercoat then serveral satinwood top coats.....

....but the white paint has turned orange!

I have tried lots of different paints to stop the orange coming through but nothing seems to work. I have tried Zinsser paint, hamerite, glue, laquer, hamerite, damp paint, stain stop paint......

Anyone got any other ideas of how I can get rid of the orange and have nicely painted white stairs?

Sponsored Links
Was you the one who did that varnish or is it really really old?..someone may have stuck some sort of stain in it..like an oil based wood dye..which will bleed badly

Im surprised it is still coming through though..

Try white knotting on an area of if allow to dry over night and then paint over it with Zinseer bin...(not the water based one..the shellac based one)

The paint as normal.

And me Rob..but maybe the water based one wsnt up to the job..its a weird one.

Sponsored Links
Would have thought the Zinser bin 123 would have done the trick to be honest.

I've been dissapointed with this zinsser 123 lately and worst of all the bin shellack let me down on a waterstain... had to resort to good old unders...took tin back but no reply. Just hope all them knots don't bleed through (same tin :eek: ) Apart from credit note :rolleyes:
So I think a coat of aluminium wood primer should cure the bleed, but lots of coaing up to get back to white... :cry:

Zinsser 123, doesn't work for me either confident :(

I sanded down the old brown varnish and then painted with white primer, undercoat then serveral satinwood top coats.....

Preparation could be the downfall here.
No mention of washing :eek: I would've washed it with sugar soap and wet and dried it down at the same time with 400.
Then..... I would've wiped it all over with white spirit.

I would be able to see what was on it, as I was washing it down, and may even reverse the process...i.e good wipe over with white spirit first, followed by sugar soap wet/dry.

No offence digimadgirl, but your painting skill looks a bit poor as well. Still...Rome wasn't built in a day.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Another satisfied customer then..........

Makes it all so worthwhile doesnt it...

Eeeee, Nice to see you back Zampo. ;)

For a minute there, I thought you'd scuttled away :evil: with your Alkali resisting primer :D and found some new internet mates. :eek:

At least ARP sticks..as opposed to Solo... :evil: ;)

Ive never bin away mate...just cant be artz to reply anymore..to many on here post a question get loads of replies..then cant be bothered to say 'thanks'

Its in safe hands anyway...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back