Painting internal stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to paint my internal stairs white. I have a very dark hallway with virtually no natural light so I hope that a coat of white paint will brighten things up a bit.
I have spent the last couple of hours researching floor/stair paint and, quite frankly, my head is spinning. Please can anyone advise on the best paint to use to paint wooden internal stairs? Wickes paints have been panned, some people seem to rate Ronseal DiamondHard paint and others think it's rubbish! I need something that is going to be hard wearing & non slip. Also, any tips on painting stairs will be gratefully received...
I already have a primer and undercoat and have been told to finish off with yacht varnish...?!
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Not sure what effect you are trying to achieve here?
You say you have bought primer and undercoat???? Are you painting the stair treds or just the skirtings and stair rails.

Couple of suggestions.
Go ahead and paint the stair treds with primer, undercoat and topcoat, this will give you the same solid full colour finish you get on doors and any other wood work around the house. This will wear out depending on how much use the staircase gets. This was used for many years before newer paints came along.
However!
If you are looking at actual 'floor' paints, then these are a little different. The best ones allow the grain and knots of the wood to show through and this type of paint goes on to a clean sanded floor, or stair surface. Generally no primer and undercoat are used in this case as it is not needed. dulux or Farrow & Ball can supply these in different colours.

A third option is to go with the look of the Swedish white floors.
'alcro trabets' white, this is applied with a cloth, or a sheepswool pad on a large floor, applied in either 1, 2, or 3 coats depending on how transparent you want the look. Finish is using a couple of coats of 'parquet 1' satin varnish, or use 'Diamond' finish matt or satin.

My guess is there are others out there who can explain alternative methods, but I have used all the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back