how to paint match stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey, i got stairs up to first floor which are nicely painted and Stairs from first floor to second need painting and are different colour.

Got two question.

1) How to paint the stairs from first to second floor, I got a wood stain but the white gloss paint that is already painted does not like it. should i remove the paint first or undercoat it with something

2) I cant find the paint or paint type used on the stairs from ground to first floor, I though it a walnut wood stain but the wood stain I tried to paint second floor stairs with look very transparent

I have attached photos of the already painted stairs and the stairs I want to paint

Attachments

• already_painted.jpeg
    already_painted.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 49
  • already_painted2.jpeg
    already_painted2.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 53
  • already_painted3.jpeg
    already_painted3.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 46
  • need_paint.jpeg
    need_paint.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 41
  • need_painting.jpeg
    need_painting.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Guessing you mean the stair rails and spindles. Wood stain is painted from bare wood. It gets darker the more coats you put on.it looks like you're trying to put wood stain on top of white gloss. You would be better sanding it back down to bare wood then the wood stain will look correct. A big job !

It's quite usual in a Period house to have polished/stained banister rails & newel posts, and painted spindles.
So I would not be trying to stain them, even if it were possible to stain over paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back