Standard Flat Roof Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard flat roof with 3 layers of felt and bitumen fitted late 1999 over a loft conversion roof.
Wanted to know the best way or any advice as to preserving its present good state. Been told that there is a special antiheat paint can be applied, as heat from the direct rays of the sun cause the most damage??
Would you recommend FLEXACRYL as well in addition to this.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You should have either gravel or Solar Reflective Paint on the flat roof to protect it from the sun . This link might help .....http://www.watco.co.uk/ROF.htm
The second one down would be perfect for your needs and most good general builders merchants should sell a range of Solar Reflective paints.I have used Flexacryl many times and can vouch for it's quality but it would work out quite expensive to do a whole flat roof with it and wouldn't go too well with the Solar Reflective Paint in my opinion.

My choice would be gravels,

1,It protect the roof felt from heat from the direct rays of the sun
2,It prolong the life of the felt from perishing and keep bitumen cooler
3,Fire resistance to the roof
4,Break down the rain into fine mist and slow down the rain flow to the gutter
5,Low maintenance

Always best if you can do away with flat roof,pitch roof would be better but will need planning permission.

Sponsored Links
as a building surveyor i advise : forget gravel - more problems than benefits ( weight, moss build up if trees are blocking off the sun, gravel run off into the gutter, etc. a standard solar reflective paint is all you need, it keeps the roof clean - you can see much more easily any potential problems affecting the flat roof- vapour pressure blisters or cracking to the underlying felts. general lifespan on a 3 layer felt roof 10 to 15 years. if sbs modified/ polyester torch on felts were used you can add another 5/10 years onto those figures. remember, regardless of the material spec' a flat roof performance is normally wholly dependant on the quality of the workmanship. a good job will get rid of all rainwater quickly, a bad job will have ponding problems - have a look after it has rained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back