Standing pressure debate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm currently re-submitting my portfolio for marking so that I can go on to my ACS.

I have had "check standing pressure" a lot on my portfolio as I have some standing pressures in there of 46mb, which is high but well within the 75mb limit for a LOP system.

I was under the impression that any standing pressure under 75 mb was adequate and not a cause for concern due to the regulator working ony when there is a flow of gas.

Any help is much appreciated.

Matt :mrgreen:

EDIT

For any1 who is remotely bothered o.0

Just called Gas Safe technical and the guy said above 30mb I should contact Transco as the regulator should be locking out at 28-30mb

additionally I looked in my BPEC Gas Safety Manual which states, "Check the standing pressure. his is measured when no gas if flowing. Standing pressure should only be used a a guide and not used as a basis for either contacting the Gas Emergency Service or altering the pressure."

Arses and elbows?

Either way I have come to the following conclusion. If its over 30mb it is a guide to check the working pressure, and if the working pressure is 21mb +/- 2mb its fine. Is this safe?

I just want to pass my portfolio and take my ACS :(

Sponsored Links
I have a strange feeling this is going to be one of those posts :LOL:

I'll check back when it gets to page 5 ;) thats when it normally starts getting good!

I have a strange feeling this is going to be one of those posts :LOL:

I'll check back when it gets to page 5 ;) thats when it normally starts getting good!

I'll start then, - What's the point of measuring standing pressure?, It's a completely pointless measurement, given the fact that a gas pipe may have been sitting in the sun all day :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Oops!! Should this not be in the combustion chamber pot???!!
Well, you may get some daftyDIYer messing around with his gas supply & taking the entire street out!!!

my water guage only does 30mb :mrgreen: but the non water one does a lot more i guess (dont know top range)

So does anybody know or will this thread just be flamed?

Also as im not GSR yet I cant enter the combustion chamber.

is standing pressure over 30mb a problem? I think it doesnt matter its under 75mb.

Just dunno why ive been set back for it is all.

Cheers if you can help.

The main issue would be why the SP is so high, if it's purely due to outside influence such as sun warming pipework, then when you use an appliance (light hob for example) then turn off, the pressure should be back down to a more realistic value ie. <30mb, then that's ok, and that's what you'd record as SP.

If you use gas, then shut off demand and pressure settles high (>30mb for example) then that suggests the regulator isn't doing it's job and locking up quick enough, or worse, is letting by and not managing to lock up at all.

Then it becomes a safety issue as the high SP could cause flare up when a hob lights up - for example, and someone could be missing eyebrows!

Its never taught because its pretty irrelevant, but to correctly measure standing pressure you should turn off the EC let the pressure down and then attach the mano and slowly turn on the EC.

That takes care of any warm pipes or slow leakage on the PRV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back