Stange leaking roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak around my chimney - either an issue with the flashing, or driving rain getting up and under the tiles (I live in an old cottage that has tiles on rafters then tongue and groove on the inside).

The problem is that we have damp on the inside wall that seems to follow the line of the chimney, the damp is on the surface of the wall and sometimes water physically drips out through the wall.

The odd thing is that when we scrape away the paint on the wall, the plaster beneath is BONE DRY.

We're not sure what's happening. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Have you been on the roof to look at it???
Have you called a roofer to look at it???

My crystal ball in the repair shop at the moment>

Andy

Been on the roof, new flashing, taken the ceiling down inside the room - bone-dry below the slates, had scaffold up to inspect, new pots on the chimney (it's large) as we felt it might be rain coming down that, 3 different 'professionals' have been up and done work, still the same problem.

Rafters dry, wall above ceiling level dry, everything dry apart from these patches of moisture on the walls - there isn't even a clear line of watermark on the wall - it's wet on the surface, but dry plaster below - I would expect water to drain down the wall in a straight line down, but this a patchy - i.e we can't follow the watermarks to find the leak.

Sponsored Links
Hygroscopic salts :idea: they draw moisture from the air to themselves - so it1s probably not a leak at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back