Star Wars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The younger ones will probably hang me for saying it but am i the only one that can't stand Star Wars movies, the reason is that from the first movie it introduced to science fiction the concept of the ridiculous robot which went on to spawn several others ( remember biddy biddy whatsisname from buck rogers etc) Up until star wars science fiction films and programmes tended to be more serious with good storylines but after those stupid star war robots the whole science fiction genre took a turn for the worse!
It will never shape up against such classics such as:
Forbidden Planet
a robot can be humourous without being potrayed as childish
The Day the Earth stood still
Again a robot that is menacing but also endearing at the same time
Silent Running
Robots which were believable and made you feel for them as though they were alive without one word being spoken by them
The War of the Worlds(original)
Menacing robotic vehicles
Soylent Green
No robot but nevertheless a great storyline and great acting
The Omega Man
Ok makeup was not too good but nonetheless a great movie
2001 a space Oddssey
Need i say anything? a classic.

There are many more great science fiction movies that i havn't mentioned here, what science fiction movies do the rest of you like?

Sponsored Links
Day of the triffids, bad plants being crazy! do you remember the Beezer story "the sponges"? big round sponges going round absobing stuff, very scary but I liked the spongy bugegrs.:cool:

Tron, that was a bit ahead of it's time. Remember it was inside that computer game riding them bikes.....weird :D

I'm looking forward to Star Wars 3. I wouldn't put myself in the "fan" category, but I did try to get £50 tickets to the all day marathon yesterday for me and my brother. Three reasons stopped me:

1) He is a teacher so can't have time off on a school day
2) Because Episode 3 was an evening preview they weren't running all 6 films in order, it was something like 1,2,4,5,3,6.
3) They sold out within about 2 seconds of going on sale

I would have enjoyed it, it is a once-only type of thing. Plus there is a surprising number of feckless poo-breath film-spoilers out there. They ask you "Have you seen <insert name of film>". You say "No, I'm going to see it tonight, can't wait!". They then say something like "Yeh, great film... The best bit is when you find out that the women were actually all transvestites, and the prime minister is an alien". So you go into the cinema KNOWING the twists before they happen. T*sspots. Anyway, I have found the best way around this is to make sure you see the film before them.

Unfortunately that won't happen with SW3 as work commitments have forced me to forego an early finish on Friday to see it with 20-odd people. I'm sure I can find someone who hasn't seen it to go with.

I got to watch the last EVER episode of Star Trek last night, it would have been a real surprise if my slow-witted colleague hadn't told me everything he had read on some scifi fan site, refusing my requests of "Don't tell me anything about it! Go away!". I'm pretty tempted to tell him verbatim everything that happens. ;)

Porthos the dog turns out to be a midget in a suit.

Sponsored Links
jasy said:
Tron, that was a bit ahead of it's time. Remember it was inside that computer game riding them bikes.....weird :D

CG done on a Cray supercomputer, if memory serves correct.

jasy said:

that was a great film.

AdamW said:
The best bit is when you find out that the women were actually all transvestites, and the prime minister is an alien.

I really want to see this film, what's it called? :)

kendor said:
Forbidden Planet
first appearance of Robbi the robot

images

kendor said:
The Day the Earth stood still

starirng gort the robot
images

kendor said:
Silent Running
images

never liked that film

kendor said:
The War of the Worlds(original)

images

Great film
kendor said:
Soylent Green
No robot but nevertheless a great storyline and great acting

i always liked the "scoops" clever use of "skip" lorry

images

The other two i have never watched, but yes i too hate star wars, you can have too much of a good thing, and if Darth vadar didn't smoke too much, he wouldnt sound like that.

I always felt sorry for Darth vadar in the first film, played by Keith prouse (think thats right) but voiced by James Earl Jones

breezer said:
kendor said:
Silent Running
images

never liked that film
In that case you probably wouldn't like another film i forgot to mention "Dark Star" a great tongue in cheek science fiction film, now this did have a silly alien creature in it but it was done purposely and made to look like a plastic beach ball to add to the humour, some great gags in the film, need to watch it a few times to get all the gags. shame the picture of Gort the robot didn't load as he was a favourite of mine.
Anyone like Westworld?

jasy said:
Great film, Disney really pulled out the stops on that one.

Lost in Space... was that the name of the original TV series or just the film with Joey out of Friends?

"Earth 2" and "Space: Above and Beyond" - Two very good sci-fi series from around 1996.

'Quatermass and the Pit' I used to watch this from behind the sofa!! it was on at the extremity of my bed time "the eyes in the wall" eeek! :D

AdamW said:
Lost in Space... was that the name of the original TV series or just the film with Joey out of Friends?

"Earth 2" and "Space: Above and Beyond" - Two very good sci-fi series from around 1996.
yep the title was the same, the tv series had angela cartwright of "sound of music" fame as one of the starring roles

Forbidden Planet is one of my long time favourites.

I also really like the Matrix (the first one - two was ok but three lost it somewhere).

Sponsored Links
Back