start to finish painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok you decorators zampa, gcol,etc, l am going to tackle my outside windows since we have desent weather and the job needed doing like 2 years ago. The windows have pane bars with 8 small windows making a window frame, all the windows need doing. My question is from start to finish what is the right way to go about this. How do l go about rubbing the paint work down ,do they need rubbing down, what sandpapers are best for this or is there a better method .Will they need undercoating or just use one coat.If undercoating is needed what is the best to use, and what is the best gloss to use.Anyone who's done these type of windows before how did you tackle them.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: Who said I was a decorator? I do a bit of painting but that's as far as it goes. I won't even entertain wall papering!
But here's my tuppence worth..... give it a keying with a sanding pad (sandpaper on a firm sponge type thing), then a good dust off (ooo err missus), then undercoat (take your pick - solvent based or a quick drying water based one), then a coat or two of your chosen gloss. Dulux trade exterior gloss is pretty good.

ok you decorators zampa, gcol,etc,

Oh please!!!...come on now... :confused:

They sound like georgian windows...bit of a fiddle bit id go along with Gcol really..use one of those pads...they are fine, mask the glass up in case you slip though.

As for painting it...pull the top sash down and lift the bottom up...then paint the bottom part..then the bit the top sash closes against....then paint the outer part of the cill....then paint the runners the inner sash go in...then pull the sash's back to their normal positon, leaving a small gap top and bottom...then wroking your way down from top to bottom..paint the rest of the top sash..then the bottom...then the frame itself

Gcol could have told you all that...lazy git knew id end up typing it! :evil:

Oh and Gareth...thanks for the e-mail...it put me off of fried eggs for life! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Hey I already admitted I'm no decorator!

Go check your e-mail Steve and that'll give you a hankering for some beef. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back