painting exterior windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a silly question but what type of paint is best to paint the outside of my wooden window frames, and will they need primed or undercoated?
thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
What type of wood are they ?

Are they new ?

Have they been coated before ?

If so, what with ?

Sponsored Links
Do you know what type of wood it is ?

Is it Pine ?

Do you know what they were painted/stained with before ?

think they're pine, I am not sure what they were painted with before but it isflaking off in big flakes it looks like eggshell paint, if there is such a thing

You must remove all the old flaking paint first whatever you do..

Use a hot air gun..the heat is easier to control around the glass

When you have done that give all the bear wood a good rub down and apply knotting to any bare knots..

Then prime, using either acrylic primer undercoat or thiined out oil based undercoat,..or even oil based wood primer..

Then rub down again, undercoat twice and then gloss..or use a exterior satin if thats what you prefer.

If it is oil based eggshell then thats probably the reason its blown...normal eggshell isnt flexible enough to cope with the movement of the wood.

thanks, it's more than a lick of paint then. I think I'll do one window at a time. Can you tell me how much time to leave between coats, and if it rains between coats is it all ruined thanks for the help everybody
John

You need to follow the instructions on the can for that one..

Hi,

Take it from a professional you've got a big job on your hands there.
Zampas right you do need to remove all loose and flaking paint first with a scraper and heatgun (careful u don't crack the glass!!), then ideally you should use dulux weathershield primer (its a blue colour!!), a flexible wood filler (ronseal and polycell both do these), then a coat or two of dulux weathershield undercoat and finally your topcoat of dulux weathershield gloss.

If you spend a bit more time (and money) doing it properly now it'll last longer so it won't need doing again for a good few years.

I'm a decorator and i've done many outsides in some terrible states.. i have a website which i'm regularly updating with tips and reviews. I'd appreciate some requests for advice which i can include.

There is also a windows care system product that you use like filler but is 100 times better for outside work and is guaranteed for life. Its crazy stuff but great for withstanding the elements.

Thanks alot.

Moderator's note:
Advertising links removed

Mod Rupert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back