Wooden Garage Door Painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got to paint the Father-in-Law's wooden garage door, I'm wondering what paint etc I need to use? I'm guessing exterior type gloss is best, what undercoat should I use?

Im assuming it will need sanding down, undercoating and then a top coat.

He wants to pay me for my efforts, its a single garage, how much should I be charging him?

Thanks in advance for your help

Rob

Sponsored Links
Dulux weathershield system should do you ok. You dont mention if there is a stain or if its already painted? If stained you need a primer sealer like coverstain or 123 (get it tinted to match u/c) then undercoat and gloss, if its already painted just prime bare spots undercoat and gloss.

Family rates, cash in hand, no tax and unskilled labour £50 per day? and no more than 2 days

Hi DCdec,

Its currently painted white. I am guessing its a sand, undercoat and paint job, I was thinking it would take a long morning to sand and undercoat then another morning to do the top coat? does that sound about right?

Any tips for undercoat or would any undercoat be ok?

Thanks again, Rob

That'll be fine with a sand undercoat and gloss. If your re-painting white then use white u/c if your going for a different coloured top coat you have to get the appropriate colour u/c, the colour charts will say which u/c to use for instance black gloss is dark grey u/c.

Time wise sounds about right for a single garage door in fairly good nick.

Have fun!

Sponsored Links
I've got to paint the Father-in-Law's wooden garage door, I'm wondering what paint etc I need to use? I'm guessing exterior type gloss is best, what undercoat should I use?

Im assuming it will need sanding down, undercoating and then a top coat.

He wants to pay me for my efforts, its a single garage, how much should I be charging him?

Thanks in advance for your help

Rob

Surely if he's your father-in-law, and you don't even know if you should sand down and undercoat first, then you shouldn't be charging him.

You sound like a typical son-in-law.

He didnt buy me a christmas or birthday present for the last 5 years so I figure I am entitled to charge him for the work!

AND if you noticed sparkwright, I never questioned if I should sand down and undercoat, I asked what paint I should use and how much to charge.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back