PAINTING EXTERIOR CONCRETE WINDOWSILLS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have been painting some exterior concrete window sills (they have been up for 4 years but previously unpainted) and used 2 -3 coats of westhershield masonary paint on them.

is this ok or should they have been treated first? If so, can i go back and treat them and then repaint them?

Also i have some windows which are wooden and only 3 years old. I've pimer/undercoated them and then used Weathershield (again on the outside.)

My question is - as the window is divided into small panes of glass, is it essential when painting the wooden divides, to paint over onto the glass slightly or does it not matter? I'm just trying to be quite precise when painting them

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but on my concrete sills, I just painted them with exterior paint a few times, they seem to be selaed ok and have have been fine.

Regarding the windows, I always thought that it was important to get the paint right into the edges, especially on outside woodwork, thus I just slap it on, get it right in there and then use a knife blade scraper once it is dry to chip off the paint from the glass.
Comes off easy if your glass is just normal flat glass.

BL

As a rule of thumb when painting windows, you should paint onto the glass a 16th inch to seal the very fine gap between glass and wood. Most decorators will do this free hand and possibly use a cotton cloth wrapped over the thumb to wipe it clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back